cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

melissa2

Iowa Quitters

Just checking to see if there are any other Iowa quitters on here since there hadn't been a post on this group in a while.
  Everyone have a great smokefree Saturday!!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
44 Replies
melissa2

ok, so I thought I was the only person in Iowa that quit smoking!
  Hang in there Phil, you are doing great at 5 weeks! It gets kinda rough at that point, keep coming here for support, the urges come and go and you have to fight it! I just had to start over again after a 58 day quit...you DO NOT want to have to do that!
0 Kudos
wise60

I was one of many that thought smoking was part of my life. Cigs were my friend. In 40 yrs of smoking I had quite once for 3 yrs. Cold turkey, like most of you did. The hardest thing I did. I became a hater, hard to be around. Just about lost my family because know body could stand me, Got fat. My husband called me a fat BITCH. So went back to smoking to lose the weigh.

Married to a different man now. In 2009 was sick alot coughing all the time. could not get rid of the cough, how embarassing. All i thought about was "she's a smoker". I new I could not quite on my own. I needed help, because I have a additive personallity. Good thing I never took drugs. So I found the help in Jan. and it has been 6 weeks. I am proud of myself.

My husband quite on his own the day before I came home. Now my brother-in-law has quite. 

0 Kudos
jimer

Hello and glad to meet another Iowan.  I am still working on the quitting thing.  22 days tody and still counting....I know the cough you talk about.... that is part of what started my quit this time, hubby commented on my cough and how I would be dead soon if I kept it up, pissed me off and scared me and I walked out of the house, bought a few patches and never looked back....I did switch from the patch to the pill and that seems somewhat better....what help did you find? 

0 Kudos
jimer

we also love nascar.... went to the Kansas city races last year and had a blast... going back this year with our 9 year old!

0 Kudos
wise60

Good day to you. I had to have help with my quiting. I went to the Mayo Clinic. I wear to patches 21 mg. and 14 mg. I also take Chantix and a nicotine puffer. It helps with all the cravings. After 6 weeks I am on 14 mg. patch, I don't need the puffer any more and take chantix for 3 to 6 months. 6 weeks with the 14 mg.patch and 3 months with chantix and I am free from the cravings.

0 Kudos
jimer

that is neat that the mayo clinic has been been able to help.  i was up to two packs a day..... how about you?  I am from  South western Iowa.  Town about 8000 people.  I wish I could find lots of Iowan's for support, sometimes I feel like I am just struggling along... but one day at a time.....Hang in there..... the chantex seems to be helping me....Kellie

0 Kudos
wise60

YOU AREN'T ALONE. THERE ARE ALOT OF PEOPLE OUT THERE THE SAME WAY. DO YOU HAVE SUPPORT FROM YOUR FAMILY? THAT IS VERY IMPORTANT. YOU NEED TO LET THEM KNOW HOW YOU FEEL AND THEY SHOULD UNDERSTAND IT. AND VISA-VERSA. A LOT OF TALKING, DEEP BREATHING AND EXERCISE. JUST A FEW THINGS I LEARNED AT THE ADDITION CENTER.

0 Kudos
wise60

I WAS UP TO 1/12 PACK. I COULD SMOKE A 1/2 PACK AFTER I GET UP. THEN TAPER DOWN. YOUR DAYS WILL GET BETTER. PEOPLE AKWAYS SAY WHEN. WHEN YOU WANT THEM TO. I LIVE UP I THE NORTH CENTRAL IOWA AND WITH THE WINTER WE HAVE HAD I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE WORSE. PLAN YOUR DAY AROUND CIGS. WHAT EVER YOU DID WITH CIGS, DO IT DIFFERENT.

HAVE A GOOD ONE

TAKE CARE

0 Kudos
jimer

Thanks for the support.   I do have my families support and that is helping lots.  Could not do it without them!!!  Have a great day!

0 Kudos