cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

lisalhh

In My Own Way and Time

The last time I blogged, I said I was about to start using Chantix. Well, I did, and it's working great for me. However, to say my quit is unconventional would be an understatement.

I did not set a quit date. I did not clear away my smoking area. In fact, I am sorry to say I do still smoke. However, I smoke less than one cig/day!

I'm in my third week of taking Chantix now. It has shut down the tobacco receptor sites in my brain. The addiction is broken; the habit is not. I allow myself to smoke whenever I want. Luckily, I rarely want to smoke! When I do, I smoke very little - sometimes there's barely enough ash to flick into the ashtray once. Yes. I light that cigarette. However, I never have to fight my way through a nic fit. I don't deny myself. I can look to my smoking area and honestly tell myself I don't want to smoke, and I don't have to lie to myself.

I like this because I smoke outside on my lanai. I used to wonder if I ever would be able to sit out there again without wanting a cigarette. It was quite upsetting. I enjoy relaxing out there and enjoying the nature all around me. Well, so far that's the only time I light up. But it tastes so-o-o bad; it's great! 

I'm sure it won't be long before I stop doing that. My mother once told me that's how I stopped using my pacifier when I was a baby. I just walked over to the garbage and threw it away. Now, I'm in the process of leaving my adult pacifier behind.

I know that's not what you're supposed to do. It's working for me though. Do I reccommend everybody quit this way? Absolutely not. It's a different way that's working for me. Maybe someone also has a different way they would like to try, but they don't because they've been told to take a specific path.

"They" say you need to quit in your own way; in your own time. Well, that's what I'm doing. If you're still struggling with your quit, don't be afraid to go outside the box. After all, we're all aiming for the same results. It doesn't matter how you get there. Just get there!

35 Replies
elvan

It is not easy, Lisa but once you are completely committed and completely honest with yourself about what a cigarette does for you...what problems it solves, how it changes things...once you have that, you will have your quit.  You know we are here and that we care enough to comment and to let you know.  This is a journey that is made much easier with support and education and the most amazing part is what you will learn about yourself.  I am stunned that I have found out things about myself that I never would have expected.  I really AM as strong as people say I am.  Let me put it this way, I would want to be my friend.  I am not sure I always felt that way.  Quitting smoking has given me insight and understanding that I did not realize I lacked. One day at a time, one step at a time...sometimes they are baby steps.  You have gotten some amazing advice and support here!

Giulia

"So, I have one cig left. I hope it becomes a legacy for me."

" I also told myself I wouldn't buy anymore cigs, I'm down to my last one and don't want to run out."

"I still don't know if I've quit."

"Well, I smoked about 1/3 cig."  So much for the legacy.

Two-thirds to go?  So, guess that means you haven't yet quit?  

Ok, you can chew me apart now.  Mea Culpa.  Have at it!

lisalhh

Hell, no! You're just giving me an overview of the path I've made for myself so far. It's good to look at this way. However, some of it has been taken out of context due to that.

I smoke that third of a cig because I'd forgotten my Chantix. That did show me how dependent I am on the drug. I didn't realize it until that happened. Now I know I still have lots of work to put into my quit before I call myself an EX.

As I said, I'm back on the wagon again. My doctor wants me on Chantix for six months. Guess he knows me better than I thought he did. Doing so also plays into Dale's blog where he says you need a minimum of 4 1/2 months to endure, even if you don't realize it.

So, throwing my own words back into my face doesn't bother me. Actually, it was a very keen observance on your part. It's just another learning experience for me. As they say, learning/knowledge is power!

Thanks for caring -

Lisa

0 Kudos
Giulia

Oh good.  I was afraid you were going to bite my head off!  lol  Glad you see the caring.  Keep working it.  Knowledge is definitely power!

0 Kudos

biting heads off. unpleasant.

YoungAtHeart

AND oh, so messy!

"-)