cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Dansky98

Im feeling stuck, and wondering if anyone else is in the same situation?

What do you do if you don’t have a good reason to quit?

some background- I smoked cigarettes for almost 15 years. I had tried to quit several times, with varying degrees of success, but ultimately always came back to smoking. Finally, about a year ago, I was able to kick cigarettes by switching to a vape. However, in light of the new bans, i will have to quit. The problem I’m facing is that I don’t want to quit, and I definitely don’t feel ready to quit, but I don’t have an option anymore. It seems like most of these cessation programs center around all of the positive benefits to quitting- none of which really resonate with me. I feel very stuck, anxious and angry. Is there a way to quit without having a reason or motivation to do so? 

Additional info: I looked into NRT and other quitting aids. While they sound effective, I don’t think I will have access to any of them. I can’t afford the gum, patches or lozenges. My skin is super sensitive to any sort of adhesive so I don’t think patches would be an option anyway. I kind of hate chewing gum/lozenges, but I’d be willing to try them if I could afford them. I don’t qualify for my states reimbursement/subsidy program. I currently have a doctor and health insurance, but in January, my new coverage will be.... well, bad. Lol. So seeing a doctor might not be an option. 

I looked into some of the medications. Unfortunately, I’m allergic to Wellbutrin- go figure, right? Haha. Chantix might not be a safe option for me, as I have bipolar disorder, and the potential mood side effects of chantix could elevate that (talked to my doc about this and he agreed). Additionally, the depression side effects that often come with quitting nicotine are something that could potentially trigger a depressive episode. 

Is there anyone else in a similar situation? I’m very much at a loss for what to do. I currently have a stock of eliquid that will probably last me a couple months, which gives me a little bit of time to come up with a quitting plan. But I’m at a loss for how to proceed... I’m working with my doctor, but again, I will likely lose access to him soon. 

Thanks for reading!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

I would hope that the recent news stories about serious lung damage and even deaths from vaping might be the incentive you need to quit.  You don't have to WANT to, but you need to be willing to quit.

Although primarily a smoking cessation site, I have seen a huge increase in the number of people coming for help to break free from vaping. Research suggests nicotine may be as addictive as heroin and cocaine. Here is a great article with information about the products: https://www.nbcnews.com/health/vaping/vaping-101-what-know-about-e-cigs-addiction-illnesses-n1054981... Here is information on this site which you might find helpful:  https://www.becomeanex.org/quitting-e-cigarettes.

E-cigarette users can get more nicotine than they would from a tobacco product — extra-strength cartridges are available, or the e-cigarette’s voltage can be increased to get a greater hit of the substance. I understand some pods equal the nicotine in a pack of cigarettes. Because it is available to you most anywhere, anytime, I believe it might be more difficult from which to break free than tobacco products - but it CAN be done!

Nicotine addiction is nicotine addiction - no matter the delivery device - and how to beat any of them is about the same. Every time you read :"cigarette" in the information I will give you, just sub "Juul" or “vape,” or “device.”   The one thing different I would recommend is that you first start to reduce the nicotine content of the pods.  Start with a lesser amount in, like, one in every four, then three, etc. until you are only using the smallest amount, or reduce the amount of nicotine in the pods over time That way the physical withdrawal should be more manageable. You might find useful information, as well, here: https://truthinitiative.org/research-resources/quitting-smoking-vaping/quitting-e-cigarettes.

I recommend that you educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind To that end, I suggest Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” . Vaping was not a concern when this was written, so you will need to sub “vape”as necessary. This is an easy and entertaining read which can be found online or at your local library. If you do nothing else to get ready for your quit, please do give this a read. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

Lots of folks who are on this site have successfully quit cold turkey (we call it "Smart Turkey").  Do the recommended reading, get your quit kit gathered, make a decision to quit, get rid of all vaping supplies and DO IT!  The nicotine is actually out of your system in about three days, then it's your body adjusting to life without it for a couple of weeks, then it's the associations and triggers you need to get past.  We can help with all but the commitment!

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each device use, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each use off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a puff just because you think you do

The idea is to change up your routines so the vaping associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from where you vaped. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first puff with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to vape so the view is different. Take a different route when you are out and about so you aren't driving by your vaping supply shop. Take a quick walk at break time instead of vaping.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that vaping thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of vape if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...
The conversation in your head in response to the "I want to vape" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Dansky98

Thanks for your response, Nancy! I appreciate you taking the time to do that

Yes, I’m aware of the recent CDC news, as well as the information released by the Michigan health department. I have a ‘general’ understanding nicotine, how it works, effects, etc. as well as long and short term effects, etc. 

thanks for sharing those resources! I’ve already seen a couple of them- Truth’s page is actually how I came to find this lovely community! I will definitely take a look at the other resources you provided. Thanks again for sharing

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.  You just  provided all the reason why you don't want to and can't quit. Please read about nicotine addiction.   That's what's driving your thinking.  We've all been there!   You do have a good reason to quit--it may kill you or certainly be detrimental to your health.  I used an aid, but since you've eliminated them all, cold turkey is an option.  It's certainly not easy, but the quitters on this site have proven it's possible. Create a quit plan and take the first step on your journey to freedom My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX  We have to learn to live life without smoking . We're a support group and would love to support you.  But you have to make the commitment and do the work.  I have to assume that since you reached out you do want to do this.  Turn that thinking around to the positives of quitting.   

Barb

Dansky98

Hey Barb, thanks for your response! 

Real quick, I want to mention this, since a few commenters have also mentioned it. Also, please forgive me if this is due to a gap in my knowledge, or if I’m not quite understanding something haha

i WILL be quitting, regardless of commitment, reason, will power, desire, etc, as I won’t have access to eliquid under the new ban. In short- I can’t continue to vape because I won’t be able to acquire eliquid, even if I want to. Can’t smoke something I don’t have hahaha.

So regardless, I will be quitting, even if it’s not by choice. 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

I'm glad to hear your intention to quit.   Wanting to quit will make it a lot easier.  We're here to support you.

Barb

Bellegonia

Dansky,

I'm with Barbscloud on this one. You'll figure it out if quitting is on your agenda. The anxiety over the quit is normal regardless of the kind of nicodemon delivery system... we have all experienced it. I used Chantix for 1 week during my quit then just stopped when I realized I didn't need it. I have mental health issues in my family... and both times I have used it, I did not suffer the side effects everyone talks about. Perhaps spending your time discovering all of the helpful tips that abound here will help you realize that you can do it - perhaps even cold turkey. I know for me drinking ice water out of a straw was a deal maker for me that helped me so much. I still do a year later!

Stick around and read, read, read. You are not alone.

Hugs,

Belle

Dansky98

Thank for the response! I appreciate you sharing your relation to quitting in regard to mental health illness. I would love to hear more about your experiences with that if that’s something you feel comfortable sharing I understand if that’s not something you feel comfortable doing though too! 

Im still very new to this platform- is there’s a way to privately message people? If so, If you’d feel more comfortable sharing those experiences privately, please feel free to do so! But again, I understand if you’re not comfortable with that!

0 Kudos
elvan

Welcome to EX, you have gotten great advice already, if you want to private message someone, click on the person's name and it will take you to their page where there will be a drop down menu you can choose to message from.  Your messages are private.

Ellen

Dansky98

Oh awesome! Thanks Ellen!

0 Kudos