cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Ralph1955

IS THIS A TEST OF STRENGTH?

I was hoping to come here with good news, positive news but sadly I come here feeling defeated and lost.  While my mom recovered from the blood clots in her lungs and is doing well, my dad is now in the hospital.  Dad suffers from dementia and because of this stopped taking his heart, diabetes and blood pressure meds and the meds we thought he was taking he hid in the couch cushions.  Last Friday afternoon he laid down and he never left the bed all day and on Saturday afternoon fell when he tried to get up and hit his forehead on the floor.  We called 911 and he was rushed to emergency.

Tests showed that he has a major UTI and failing kidneys.  He could not talk and became highly aggressive and incoherent when he did speak.  His weight dropped to below 130 pounds where normally he weighed in the 140's.  To calm him they sedated him and he slept from Saturday to this morning.  Friday morning he was alert and did laundry and within hours was out of it.

I feel like I'm constantly being pulled in all directions and he stress and sadness is overwhelming.  Still, I did not give in and ignored that huge urge to smoke.  How I didn't cave I don't know but I'm drawing from all the positive feedback from all of my friends here who have been on this journey with me. God bless you all.

This afternoon dad is going to a nursing home because mom can't take care of him and the aide isn't there at night.  Moms fear is dad will die at home and none of us want that.  We don't know how much time is left for him and his constant  wish to die isn't helping his recovery

Again, thank you for allowing me to vent my heart.

54 Replies
Ralph1955

What we are going to do is have the new condo all set up for them with all their furniture before they get there.  It's a beautiful place and I think eventually they will love it.  Lots to do there, a wonderful outside area and nice people their age to meet. Sis and I are breathing easier now. 

So thrilled I am not smoking any longer because with all this going on I would have chain smoked for sure

Love you guys 

R

Ralph1955

Nothing goes smoothly it seems.  My moms move in date for assisted living was May 2nd but they haven't finished her apt yet.  Just now laying the flooring and the movers bring her furniture on Monday I HOPE.  Little set backs that screw things up big time.  But it's almost over and dad will join her a week later. Man I'm tired.

sweetplt

Thanks for the update Ralph1955 somehow and someway it will all fall together...once they are settled you really need to take sometime out for yourself...~ Colleen 151 DOF 

Barbscloud

We try and plan the best we can.  I spent a lot of time trying to arrange for the moves for the various relatives.  It's not easy getting to and from different facilities, the hospital, doctors appointments, etc.  I actually needed a bed for my mother in rehab and managed to move my mother into the same bed my aunt was in and moved my aunt to a different facility.  That was not a small feat.  It can take a lot of coordination and staying on top of the situation.   It's important stay involved as much as you can.  Soon they will be settled.

Barb