cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Ralph1955

IS THIS A TEST OF STRENGTH?

I was hoping to come here with good news, positive news but sadly I come here feeling defeated and lost.  While my mom recovered from the blood clots in her lungs and is doing well, my dad is now in the hospital.  Dad suffers from dementia and because of this stopped taking his heart, diabetes and blood pressure meds and the meds we thought he was taking he hid in the couch cushions.  Last Friday afternoon he laid down and he never left the bed all day and on Saturday afternoon fell when he tried to get up and hit his forehead on the floor.  We called 911 and he was rushed to emergency.

Tests showed that he has a major UTI and failing kidneys.  He could not talk and became highly aggressive and incoherent when he did speak.  His weight dropped to below 130 pounds where normally he weighed in the 140's.  To calm him they sedated him and he slept from Saturday to this morning.  Friday morning he was alert and did laundry and within hours was out of it.

I feel like I'm constantly being pulled in all directions and he stress and sadness is overwhelming.  Still, I did not give in and ignored that huge urge to smoke.  How I didn't cave I don't know but I'm drawing from all the positive feedback from all of my friends here who have been on this journey with me. God bless you all.

This afternoon dad is going to a nursing home because mom can't take care of him and the aide isn't there at night.  Moms fear is dad will die at home and none of us want that.  We don't know how much time is left for him and his constant  wish to die isn't helping his recovery

Again, thank you for allowing me to vent my heart.

54 Replies
SimplySheri

It is so hard to handle all that comes from one aging, ailing parent and you have been hit with both and hit hard.  I'm so sorry, Ralph.  It's a struggle to find any good when you're dealing with this.  It sounds like you and your sister love your parents so much, which says so much about them as well.  Hold tight to those good memories as you deal with the here and now.  They will provide comfort and love.  I bet your parents are proud of your quit   Smoking changes nothing and I believe you know that.  Your quit is precious, too.  You've taken good care of it.

Prayers for you and your family!  May you find the strength you need to get through this and may you find peace and comfort in the love you share with your family.  ((((Ralph))))

Sheri

Ralph1955

Well I will say this; if I haven't reached for a smoke during all of this, I never will again.  We're going to find out if dad can go with mom to the assisted living but, I think that I already know the answer to that question.  Ever feel as if time has come to a complete STOP?  I'm in slow mo state.

elvan

Ralph1955‌ I am so sorry, I know what a difficult time this is.  You are a good son and you are thinking of what is best for them, that is all you can do.  Try to keep your mother involved in activities in assisted living, she may very well enjoy meeting new people.  I am sure your father's journey is difficult for all of you and I cannot tell you how sorry I am.  

Thinking of you.

Ellen

Ralph1955

Well, dad was home from rehab for just two days when he began to go back to not eating or taking his meds. We had to take him back to the nursing home and admitted him; this time he will not be coming back home and will stay there.  I feel that he has little time left and he'll get the care he needs there.

It's a difficult time for mom who wants to be with him but does not want to go to a nursing home but decided to go to assisted living instead   I'm fighting with the decision to move her in with me but since my partner and I still work she'll be along all day.  If she goes to assisted living she'll be around people her own age and be cared for if needed.  Just don't know what to do.

0 Kudos
MarilynH

Huge caring hug coming your way Ralph along with lots of good thoughts and prayers for you and your parents, it's so hard to know what the right thing to do is sometimes but you will know what the right thing to do is by going with your heart. Ralph1955,  my thoughts are with you ......

Giulia

These are such tough decisions in life.  And all potential answers seem to be not the greatest.  So you go with the best that you can. For all of you.  If assisted living is the best for her right now, given that she'd be alone otherwise, then don't fight yourself of that acknowledgement.  Especially if SHE decided to go to assisted living.  It sounds like it would be better for all of you.  The pressure would be off you and you could then spend quality time with her without the strain.  But, I'm just speaking right off the cuff of my mind and sentiment without really knowing you and your relationship.  I think as Marilyn said,  "go with your heart."  Because when we do that, we rarely go wrong.  We all are going to have to face these decisions at some point in our life, I think.  Whether we're the child or the parent.  My heart goes out to you and yours.

Ralph1955

I know what's right but then why does it seem wrong? I think I'm going to give her the opportunity to try the asst. living first. I'm praying she adjusts there and will fit in.  Mom is going to be 90 and her daily needs are difficult for me to meet. So we shall see and hope for the best.

0 Kudos

It feels wrong because you're reminded of the years spent caring & providing for you by them. Know that they will be well taken care of. Get out to visit them as often as possible. You can make this a better time for them & yourself Ralph. Don't feel guilty just do what you can.

M n @ Signature 002-5.JPG

sweetplt

It is tough Ralph1955 went through so much of this 2 years ago and in the end it all seemed to work out...praying for you and your decisions...Happy Easter...~ Colleen 139 DOF 

Barbscloud

Guess we can all agree, this is one of the toughest things to face in life.   I took care of my mother and her to two sisters over the years.  Mother passed at 97.  They were in different facilities, hospital, back and forth, etc.  Honestly, at times I don't feel good about it, but what to do? I was working at the time and didn't get much help from the siblings.   There can  be assistance in the home that you could look into also.   Sometimes these decisions are even based on finances.  Whatever you decide, just remember your objective if for them to be cared for and your decision is made out of love.

Barb