cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Ralph1955

IS THIS A TEST OF STRENGTH?

I was hoping to come here with good news, positive news but sadly I come here feeling defeated and lost.  While my mom recovered from the blood clots in her lungs and is doing well, my dad is now in the hospital.  Dad suffers from dementia and because of this stopped taking his heart, diabetes and blood pressure meds and the meds we thought he was taking he hid in the couch cushions.  Last Friday afternoon he laid down and he never left the bed all day and on Saturday afternoon fell when he tried to get up and hit his forehead on the floor.  We called 911 and he was rushed to emergency.

Tests showed that he has a major UTI and failing kidneys.  He could not talk and became highly aggressive and incoherent when he did speak.  His weight dropped to below 130 pounds where normally he weighed in the 140's.  To calm him they sedated him and he slept from Saturday to this morning.  Friday morning he was alert and did laundry and within hours was out of it.

I feel like I'm constantly being pulled in all directions and he stress and sadness is overwhelming.  Still, I did not give in and ignored that huge urge to smoke.  How I didn't cave I don't know but I'm drawing from all the positive feedback from all of my friends here who have been on this journey with me. God bless you all.

This afternoon dad is going to a nursing home because mom can't take care of him and the aide isn't there at night.  Moms fear is dad will die at home and none of us want that.  We don't know how much time is left for him and his constant  wish to die isn't helping his recovery

Again, thank you for allowing me to vent my heart.

54 Replies
KMC56

Ralph..been there..and I have it named the wild wacky toad ride...I had been taking care of my mom for over 20 years...10 after my father passed...myself.

The It is were the worst...then the TIAs followed, slowly the dementia, sundowners....I had a bar that she would have to be at before I would need to make the decision of admitting her to elder care.  

Bring a care taker is frustrating, exhausting and emotuonal....

The decision was made after 3x of her slipping outside in the late evening, and had injured herself.  I started with in home care...and I took the overnight schedule to subsidise the expense.  That lasted three months, and by the grace of God, there was an available room in a top rated foster care home, that she was on a waiting list.

It was her final year of her life ther, that I was able to enjoy a mother-daughter relationship.

It was also in that year, I had a carodic blockage, which resulted in a stroke.  Again, by the grace of God, recovered 100%, and she passed 2 weeks later.

Point is...we are stronger when we are in controll of how we handle the obit of life.  

I'm going to celebrate 3 years of being smoke free next month.  I am very proud of this success..so far.  Each day, is a smoke free day by choice, what happens in life, isn't my choice.

You will draw strength from your freedom to choose not to smoke, you are what enough to know, smoking will not solve the real life issue.

Continued success to you Ralph, and caress the moments you share with you mom and dad.

~Kathy 1060 DOF

Ralph1955

It Is so very hard. Seems the caregivers energy drops big time yet we find the strength to pick ourselves up and carry on. Congrats on 3 years that's Awesome. I have 3.5 months to go to hit 1 year. Whew

beazel

Sorry to hear what you are going through - you're in my thoughts.

Take care of yourself.

Sootie

Crying as I read this. Just lost my Mom last year and although I lost my Dad 10 years ago...it is like yesterday to me. I miss them both and always will. Treasure the time you have with both of them. You are wondering how you did not smoke? You didn't smoke because you KNOW that it wouldn't change anything except your Dad would still be ill and now you would be trapped in addiction again. You are strong...you are an EX. I will pray for all of your family through this difficult time.

Ralph1955

Sorry for you loss.  I know it's hard and each day they say gets easier but, I'm not sure about that.  You do have two angels in heaven watching over you now. 

0 Kudos
Ralph1955

As expected dad will not be returning home and will live out his days in the nursing home. His diabetes is out of control and he can no longer urinate on his own and has a catheter.  He's quite sad but due to dementia he's not really understanding the situation.

Mom on the other hand cannot live alone any more.  We are placing her in assisted living which is across the street from where dad is.  My sister and I are not able to tend to her needs, i.e. medications, dressing, showering, etc.  

Very sad and draining way of life for all of us. 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Ralph, so sorry to hear that.  Lots of us can associate.  It is a loss of what our families were all about.  Will keep you in my thoughts.

Barb

MarilynH

I'm so sorry Ralph, I'm sending you a humongous caring hug along with lots of good thoughts and prayers for you, your sister and your parents congratulations on your precious quit journey keep moving forward and stacking up your precious DOF so each evening you can say YAY for another Day WON .....

Giulia

Sorry, Ralph.  Hug you.

sweetplt

Went through all of this two years ago...and I have to tell you Ralph1955 it takes a lot of adjusting for everyone ... but things really fell into place after about 6 months... it is important that you and sis visit often and get to know stafff and see your folks...like quitting it is a journey, but gets better with time...Gotcha in my thoughts & prayers ~ Colleen