cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

SuzyQ411

INCREASED CRAVINGS

Well, guys, I have been having increased emotional cravings these past 2-3 days. I believe it's tied into the disruptive and dangerous factions which are starting fires and doing some serious looting. While I support the peaceful demonstrators calling attention to the unnecessary death of George Floyd, I just simply cannot abide the dangerous wing that is destroying our cities. I also fear the strong possibilty that the National Guard and active military will be called in to "control" the situation and perhaps even the demonstrators. All this, plus the ongoing concerns regarding Covid 19 have plopped fear and anxity into my lap. To help care for myself during these disturbing times, I am taking a break from Facebook and also national news. And I am strengthening my self with prayer and calming musc such as this; 

OFFICIAL Somewhere over the Rainbow - Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwoʻole - YouTube 

20 Replies
Barbscloud

I still watch the news to stay informed without being obsessed with watching it all (never did do social media).  I don't feel we can effect change by totally living in the dark. News plays an important role in society.   I have no desire to live in a secret society. I would like to be demonstrating right now, but at my age I'm  more concerned about the spread of the virus. 

I think the important thing now is to focus on what you can control.  Much of what we're feeling is about the uncertainty of the future.  We're stressed!   It can be simple things such as going for a walk, not smoking, spending time with the dog, being safe if we do go out, deciding what to make for dinner, taking care of our health, etc.  For me, staying busy helps by planning different things to do each day.  Having a goal gives us focus and completing that goal  creates a sense of satisfaction. 

Many of us have had more of those thoughts of smoking lately.   As we know, that's not going to fix anything.  It's important for all of us to share those feeling.   

Barb

SuzyQ411

Thank you Barb Barbscloud‌ for your suggestions and support. I have been keeping busy within the house but I do need to get outside more. That would surely help me...with a mask and practicing social distance, of course...

As far as the news goes, even though I'm not presently watching it at all, I do have a service membership whereby I receive every morning the top 5 national/international news announcements with a one to three paragraph summary of the topic / event. So I'm not "in the dark", just not immersed in the whole blackness of everything 

Barbscloud

SuzyQ411  I would never imply that you were in the dark.  I was responding to recommendations to not watch the news at all, which I don't agree with.  I don't believe that's was a solution to how you're feeling.

Spending time outside is really helpful.  In addition to walking with the dog, we also go for rides and explore a different park.

Take care. 

Barb

SuzyQ411

Thanks Barbscloud‌ for your response...hey, there was/ is no problem... just explaining how I'm getting my limited news to be informed but not overburdened  National news and Facebook were driving me bananas !!

Cousin-Itt

Good Morning Suzy  I will make it short. I take faith that a very large percentage of Americans are good people and most police officers are decent people also.  George Floyd death was a uncalled for murder.  

As far as the virus we need to take care of ourselves and be vigilant in doing so.

Your doing the right thing prayer, music throw some of Mother Natures free beauty in the mix and you will do fine.

I've been listening to more music myself lately       That is how Joyce knows something is bothering me

Anyway this song kind of fits today and I think you might like it

Farewell To Arms - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3d5LviJKDw

Remember "WERE ALL SHARING THIS EARTH AT THE END OF THE DAY"

SuzyQ411

Dear Carl Cousin-Itt‌..you have such a great way of getting right to the core of things! And I appreciate that! And the common thread that's coming with the responses to my post, including yours, is the element of one component I have left out: The outdoors! I live on a small plot in the city- I need to drive out and away a bit and take in the fresh air and the sights. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and in the low 80"s;  So, I'm going to pack a lunch and take off to who knows where??

BTW, Pefect choice in "Farewell to Arms" and I thank you for sharing it with me today! (I love the part where they sound like Scottish bag pipers- have you picked that short section up?). Funny how as a woman "of a certain age" I have come to like a lot of the musc that I used to yell at my kids about:  "Turn it down!!!!!!"

AnnetteMM

Hopping on board with solidarity! I live in a small college town, so it's quite peaceful. Plus I've been "in place" for 3 months like everyone else. Still, it's both exciting and frightening to see so much social unrest happening. Exciting because it will lead to change; frightening for obvious reasons. As far as the smoking goes...I'll admit to having some thoughts lately as well. Even after 2 1/2 years I can still feel it calling to me for false comfort. I'm glad you posted about it! We need to stick together.

(edited to add: I love that version of "over the rainbow")

SuzyQ411

Thanks AnnetteMM‌ for your supportive and helpful response. You are perfectly right! What I've been searching for is "comfort" which I looked to cigarettes for from 1956 to 2020. But I have other sources of comfort available to me and I just need to focus on them: my faith; prayer; music; the Bible; friends and family; and nature to list just the ones that first pop into my head. Yes! Stick to gether we must~

Glad you enjoy IZ's interpretation of "Over the Rainbow" as well~

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

I hear you and I relate, it was announced today a violent protest may take place this evening in our town. So sad.

I think Gods sending some messages and we need to listen  Stay safe, don't smoke,,,hugs