cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Peddler

I wished I had not quit smoking

I am closing in on 9 months without a smoke. The longest I have been in 34 years.  Please dont tell me good job or that's great. I appreciate the good thoughts but I'm really tried of hearing them when I really dont feel like it's a good thing.  I think it's the worst thing I have ever done. I always feel like shit, I dont have any motivation to do anything, I'm moody as hell, and I could go on and on.  I love being outside but now I have no desire to go outside because when I'm out there I want to smoke.  Here spring and summer is and all i can think about is wishing winter would hurry the hell up and get here, and I freaking hate winter.  Stopping smoking has changed everything about my life and not in a good way.  I know all the health benefits are good, you dont have to say all that stuff.  Smokers already know about all the health issues without having to be reminded all the time.  I am having a hard time finding happiness in my life without smoking.  Cigarettes have always been there.  They have been with me in the good, bad, happy, sad, mornings, evenings, afternoons, nights, vacations, hanging out with friends, working outdoors, camping, fishing times and the list could go on and on forever.  It's like that country song "Long neck ice cold beer never broke my heart". That's how I feel about cigarettes.  They have always been there for me.  In ever aspect of life since I was 11 years old, I am now 46. If it was not for my wife and kids giving me hell about it I would have already started back. I get tired of them always on my back about it, and yes I know its because they love me and want me to be healthier, but I look at it has they dont want me to be happy.  I would love to just go out back and set on my deck and enjoy this beautiful day, but I have no desire to do that without smoking, so here I am hanging out in the house wasting this beautiful day.  Sorry for such a long rant! Just wanted to get some thoughts off my mind. Is there anyone else out there that feels this way or am I the only one?  Thanks for reading and being a listening ear!!

83 Replies
MarilynH

How are you doing Peddler‌?

0 Kudos
Ashley1985

I feel you.  It's a little over a year since I quit.  I enjoyed smoking.  Like a child carrying a security blanket.  I stopped for my health.  I know someone who quit smoking 30yrs ago.  I asked do you miss smoking?  I wasn't prepared for the answer, EVERY day!  Wow!   Wishing you the best.

KMC56

I know it's been over 7 months since you expressed your feelings of 'breaking up' with your addiction to nicotine.  But truth be told, I know how deep that admission is!  I smoked for over 40 years, it was my personal gift for my upcoming 60th birthday...how many times did I want to gift myself of the freedom of addiction.  Now,  over 4 year later, my words remain, I'm glad I quit and am free of the addiction, I'm always a recovering addict, and I wish I never picked up a cigarette addict. With all the stresses we are now experiencing,  much more than we have in our life time, returning to the addiction or romancing the thought of lightingg up and having world just go away, has not even once entered my head.  The hard, difficult and agonizing path to get to this place is well with it.

Hope you have increased in strength and are in a better place!!

Kathy

0 Kudos
Thesegoto11

Realize this is an old post, but here goes. 

a. Reminds me of the truthfulness some experts claim that an ex-smoker needs to go a full year--with all the seasonal changes--before they really feel the habit is behind them.  That was true for me.

b. There's nothing wrong with having nostalgic thoughts about smoking.  I smoked 35 years and loved it.  But, when I think back nostalgically about it, I remind myself I do things now just as enjoyable AND I don't smoke.

c. Facts is facts.  Smoking is a dirty filthy habit that only puts people in the ground sooner rather than later.  If you need a dopamine high go running or hold your breath until you become light-headed.  Sorry, you asked for no sympathy.  LOL