cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Gwenivere

I want a cigarette!!!

I have been jonesing for a cigarette for days now.  I’m at over 7 months.  All the frilly talk of it serving no purpose don’t matter.  I want to inhale that smoke and feel calm like I used to.   I’ve read all the info and much is lost in me anyway.  Yes, I was addicted tho I didn’t know it as such til I stopped using.  I wasn’t covering up any deep seated emotions.  We coexisted just fine.  I wasn’t a chain smoker and could easily go hours without one.  In the last week or so many problems have popped up that I know a cigarette won’t fix.  I never expected them to.  My mind was just clearer and I could relax and step back for a little bit.  I factor in a new med I am on that is causing terrible side effects, my old dog needing possible surgery, the loss of my husband for help and being so alone.  Truly.  No close family or friends. All I have are doctors, counselors and web sites to reach out to.  No significant human contact. 

So i post here.  You are all wonderful and supportive people, but I don’t need the standard advice.  I have no intention of smoking.  I just can’t get out of under the memory of how, in a way, they did fix things.  It was my normal.  I don’t like this one for how fixated I am on it that I wasn’t on cigs.  I’m using NRTs and do have a fixation as they don’t deliver in a way I can count on so I get too little or too much.  

Just needed to vent.  So much of this is wanting my life back as it was before fighting my husbands cancer and the life I loved.  Some days it’s just too overwhelming to be alone.

53 Replies
Gwenivere

mercury87436, My apologies for whatever I have done to annoy you so much.  

0 Kudos
sweetplt

pastedImage_2.gifGoing to prayer group in a bit and will keep you close in my prayers ...Colleen  232 DOF 

Christine13

I can relate to being alone.  I'm sorry you are having such a tough time.  Maybe join a church group, or a group of some sort.  You will always be alone if you don't reach out and do something.  What about volunteering somewhere?

I'm sorry you are so sick.  You do have us tho.

Christine13

Sending love, you are still grieving your husband, and grief makes things worse.  I am still grieving too and long to have him back and have all the companionship and fun we used to.  Things change tho, I know you really don't want that cig.  You want your husband back and the comfort you had with him.  I think cigarettes remind you of a better time in your life.  Saying prayers that you will reach out and make an effort to make new friends, easier said than done.

xo

Gwenivere

I don’t want to join a church.  It would be hypocritical of me.  I’ve volunteered for 25 years but that is grinding to a halt with severe back issues that make walking and standing very painful.  As a widow, you understand the emptiness that can’t be filled.  I keep open to friendships, but it seems everyone is settled in in their 60's.  I get an hour here and there with a couple of people, that’s it.  Too much time is now doctors and med management.  Sorry, I keep trying to find a positive place in this, but I haven’t yet.  I just want to sleep and stay there.  Hugs to you.

0 Kudos
AnnetteMM

It's your choice. It's always been your choice. No one here is going to come into your house and stop you from using NRT or nicotine in any other form. You could stop coming here altogether and start smoking again and no one here will ever know. It's completely your choice. So what do you want? Really?

Gwenivere

To AnnetteMMand lqsi12

Someone to really care. I’ve never seen criticism as support.  It’s not and it hurts.  I just wanted to vent in a safe place.  I have questions.  Have you lost your spouse and had your world turned upside down?  Does making a person defensive and feel worse about themselves make you feel superior?

my heartfelt gratitude to those who replied knowing sometimes we need a safe place to come to just to be heard.  

AnnetteMM

Yes, I lost my husband 5 years ago and it still feels like yesterday.

No, I never feel superior to anyone.

I sometimes want to smoke again, thinking it would be a comfort.

I think that at those times I don't do it only because I like coming here so much.

Gwenivere

AnnetteMM‌, as do I.  I’m so sorry for your loss.  I apologize to you too if I have upset you.

0 Kudos
AnnetteMM

Thanks, but you didn't upset me. Pain and loss and hurt and withdrawal and struggles...it's why we're all here.