cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Gwenivere

I want a cigarette!!!

I have been jonesing for a cigarette for days now.  I’m at over 7 months.  All the frilly talk of it serving no purpose don’t matter.  I want to inhale that smoke and feel calm like I used to.   I’ve read all the info and much is lost in me anyway.  Yes, I was addicted tho I didn’t know it as such til I stopped using.  I wasn’t covering up any deep seated emotions.  We coexisted just fine.  I wasn’t a chain smoker and could easily go hours without one.  In the last week or so many problems have popped up that I know a cigarette won’t fix.  I never expected them to.  My mind was just clearer and I could relax and step back for a little bit.  I factor in a new med I am on that is causing terrible side effects, my old dog needing possible surgery, the loss of my husband for help and being so alone.  Truly.  No close family or friends. All I have are doctors, counselors and web sites to reach out to.  No significant human contact. 

So i post here.  You are all wonderful and supportive people, but I don’t need the standard advice.  I have no intention of smoking.  I just can’t get out of under the memory of how, in a way, they did fix things.  It was my normal.  I don’t like this one for how fixated I am on it that I wasn’t on cigs.  I’m using NRTs and do have a fixation as they don’t deliver in a way I can count on so I get too little or too much.  

Just needed to vent.  So much of this is wanting my life back as it was before fighting my husbands cancer and the life I loved.  Some days it’s just too overwhelming to be alone.

53 Replies
Gwenivere

Sometimes things are good in theory, and this usually is.  Way too many other things going on that make this inapplicable for me.  Thanks tho.

0 Kudos
joella

Its sad feeling alone when you aren't alone,  and when you are...I feel that way so much of the time,  sometimes I think I have more friends in nature,  the trees animals and birds than I do otherwise..

Gwenivere

My dogs and parakeets have more of a social life than I do!  That’s pretty bad.  

Barbscloud

Nothing wrong with having friends in nature.  My dog and cat are at the top of list.   They make me feel better than anyone.  I also enjoy feeding the birds and being outdoors.

Barb