cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Jemoda

I've set a quit date

Hi.  Im new here,  and I've set my quit date for may 15. Im 54 and I've smoked since I ws 19. I've had sonne periods of abstinence but I've always come back to it. Im tired of it,  but quitting seems so elusive sometimes.  I've never joined any type of support group and I'm so happy to have found you! 

24 Replies
Gai.C

U have a good reason so make it work for You. 

Karen333

I use the patches, and if I feel a really bad craving. I also have nicoderm mini mints available. You just don't want to rely on the mints all the time though

Jemoda

How did you keep from gaining weight? One of my plans right now is to do a quick exercise routine every time I have a craving,  but i'm so scared im going to gain a lot a of weight. I know it may sound trivial on- the big picture of things,  but I suffer from severe depression,  and weight gain is a huge trigger for me. I recently had to get dentures (long story) so munching on veggies is difficult unless they are cooked.  Although this is another part of my plan- the freezer is already packed.  Ws anyone really scared right before they quit? I feel silly. 

maryfreecig

About weight gain...sounds like you are preparing. It's not silly to be thinking about weight gain--no one likes it (unless they need to gain weight). It's all about, in my opinion, taking it one day at a time--because each day you (any one of us) can handle. Trying to manage tomorrow is like trying to keep ducks in a row. You are doing your homework and that matters so much. Congratulations on that and keep it coming.  

No, I didn't fear gaining weight because I was petrified of quitting. I gained some weight, took at least half of it off by 7 or 8 months. I have a sweet tooth...correction, I had a sweet tooth, now I'm a good nutrition addict!!! Go figure!

0 Kudos
elvan

I was TERRIFIED of gaining weight but l put my quit first, l did not starve myself, l was too sick to exercise. I came here every morning & every evening. I have partial dentures, probably because l smoked, just another little gift from nicotine. You CAN do this one day at a time, we are all hete to help.

Ellen