cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Ritabook

I thought Chantix was supposed to make cigarettes taste bad

I started 8/21/17 and it's now 9/7/17, so about 17 days in.  I had set a quit date of 9/11 but cigarettes still taste good : (. Feels like the craving has subsided somewhat as I am definitely cutting back (at about 8/day now), but I'm not sure I'll be ready to quit by 9/11.  

My dreams are mostly hysterical...not at all scary which is why I never tried Chantix before.  I'm on celexa and Xanax and feared suicidal thoughts but that has not been a problem.  I dream things like my husband bringing me a 9x13 pan full with 8 ice cream drumsticks!  LOL!! I also had an extremely vivid dream of purgatory which I had to write down so I don't forget!

My only other problem is the nausea and dull headache from the Chantix.  I tried taking Advil but that didn't help.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
elvan

Ritabook‌ MANY of us smoked for 40+ years, some for 50+ years.  Addiction is addiction and as long as you treat this as a journey and not an event..treat it as RECOVERY, you can do this.  I think the patch, of all aides that are available, is probably the most successful.  I did not use anything, waited until I got so sick that the decision was made for me...couldn't breathe, couldn't smoke. Because of this site, I have been smoke free for over 3 1/2 years after 47 years as a smoker (quit for pregnancies and had a few short term failed quits but NOTHING like this).

Keep in touch...stay close to the site, it really helps.  Funny, I wrote a blog early on in my quit about how EX is LIKE a crazy quilt.  I will see if I can find it and repost it.

Best,

Ellen

0 Kudos

there's also https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/chantix-ers?sr=search&searchId=aab0fd20-f0f0-46b5-8b4e-3e1...‌ or you can use the magnifying glass and type in Chantix.  there's a lot of different things written about that on here

0 Kudos
Kellybeth

I took chantix and quit smoking on day 20. For me it didnt change the taste of the cigerettes but it did make me want to smoke less. I had a lot of anxiety and insomnia while taking it but I did continue it for the full 12 weeks. I have been smoke free since February 20th. I just wanted to tell you i smoked for a few years and quit for 10. Then I met my husband who is a smoker and I started to smoke again.  I smoked for 10 more years. My husband continues to smoke. It is possible to quit while living with a smoker. Good luck to you on your journey!

0 Kudos

The directions specifically state you must pass your cigarettes by a skunks *** if you want them to taste bad,  🙂

0 Kudos
elvan

I could help out with that...there is a skunk stalking my house every evening.

0 Kudos

She should be thanking you Ellen.  🙂

0 Kudos
dwwms

I took Chantix many years ago and for me, it didn't make cigarettes taste bad, it just made me feel less likely to miss smoking. Unfortunately, that quit didn't last, Chantix had some bad side effects for me (doesn't mean it will for you), so I stopped the Chantix and went back to smoking. This quit I flirted with using Wellbutrin, but chose just to use NRTs instead. Ultimately, whatever you choose, it's your commitment that matters!

Welcome to EX - I'll reiterate to do the recommended reading, it certainly helped me!

Doug

elvan

You know what?  I think cigarettes DO taste bad and I thought that when I smoked them too...I also hated the smell of my hands.  Cigarettes are killers...dwwms‌ is right...you need to do the reading and prepare.  There is no magic bullet, at least not one that I know about.

0 Kudos