cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Charles4511

I slipped

I’m so MAD. I was drinking and had a cigarette. I literally KNEW I would be so mad at myself the next morning and here I am. part of me is thinking it’s not a big deal and I was having fun. I know that I cannot make it a habit again of course. Ugh it’s been 17 days and I feel like I just completely ruined my quit

for a not even satisfying cigarette.

Labels (2)
4 Replies
Barbscloud

Sorry to hear that @Charles4511   I know it can be discouraging when we relapse, but don't let that be the end of your quit.  Get right back on track and use this as a learning experience.  I would literally go for year(s) before I tried again.  Don't make that mistake.

What would you do different next time?   I know some people can't have a drink early in their quit without smoking, but I didn't experience that.  And always remember to reach out before you smoke.  It really works.

Barb

JACKIE1-25-15

Many a quit has  been lost due to alcohol.  I would suggest that you abstain until your quit is much stronger.  There are lots and lots of topics here about triggers and alcohol is one of yours. Learn from your mistakes and "Keep it Simple"... 

Maki

Didnt care at the time . Thats how I would have thought then yup next day realize how much I really did care .

I don't drink often but I've been educated to know that alcohol seems to be a good excuse in an addicts world for many thIngs , whether you drink socially or have an addiction .

Either the crave was too tough , the wait to rough , or a person thinks you could just start over. That's all good though til  the next drink or the next one that commands you to smoke .

Maybe having that short term night of fun was more important , ( sometimes I feel that way too , just drink for that sense of numb and fun ) so yup this is one you have to break and I think you can do it . Lesson learned as you say . 

Alcohol is one of the most accepted and forgiven excuses . Accepted by ourselves and others it seems in our world today for the damage it causes . It's something people use as justification for failed quits over and over . I think we have to remember drink or not we can't find excuses good enough that warrant picking up and light a cigarette . 

I wish possibly the Mayo could do a blog on dual addictions or alcohol and addiction . You could possibly do a search in the search engine . If you find something I'd appreciate the links shared for others . Many come short of success in their quit smoking journey due to the influence of alchohol . 

I'm grateful I don't drink often or much , one is enough for me at any time but there are dual addictions and I am impressed that many beat both l  

If you are a social smoker it's worth it to wait or be firm with yourself . No smoking no matter what . 

0 Kudos
sweetplt

@Charles4511 I lost two very long quits from a drinking alcohol...one’s inhibitions goes and we get a “who cares attitude”...it truly sucks.  This 3rd and last quit, I wouldn’t drink alcohol until much time had passed in my quit.  To be honest it was months....then I prepared what I would do if I would finally have a cocktail and started to feel like smoking.  (Ie., I would leave the situation, get water and stop the alcohol, etc.,) You can do it....but You have to make your quit number one until you are feeling good about your quit...

Start over, learn from the experience and move on....~ don’t beat yourself up...it happens...keep close to the support site...Colleen 906 DOF