cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

pammiepearl

I slipped! HELP???

I went to purchase a "puffer today" (with no nicotine), they didn't have one in stock with NO nicotine, so I purchased the 2.4% vape. I am trying to wean myself off of approximately 2.5 packs a day (menthol).

I have been using lozenges,straws and mints. Every time I take a lozenge, I literally can not keep my eyes open. 

What's the difference between using a low % vape vs. A nicorette inhaler? I've  GOT to be able to wean myself off, not cold turkey but I'm also afraid that this could lead back to smoking???

Can anyone recommend any kind of oral inhaler (using oxygen only) and where I can purchase?

We all can do this! pammiepearl
Labels (1)
13 Replies
YoungAtHeart

You appear to be in a panic and thus your thinking appears to be all over the place.  I hope you have done some of the recommended reading and have an understanding of what this addiction is all about.  Knowledge is power!  If you haven't done any, do yourself a favor and do it now.

How are you using the straws?  Have you cut them into cigarette length and handling/inhaling/exhaling like you would a cigarette?  If not, give that a try.  A regular mint in your mouth while you use one might give you a good substitute for your menthol cigarette.

If the lozenge isn't working for you, maybe try the patch?  We have had folks here trying to quit the vape after using it to quit cigarettes and becoming addicted to the vape.  A member here used a nicotine inhaler.  

I am not sure the NRT is what is causing your sleepiness.  It could just be a withdrawal symptom as your body adjusts to life with reduced nicotine.  It might not be a bad idea to check with your doctor about that.

I hope you find some of this information useful.  If not, just get in touch again!  It's why we are here!

Nancy

0 Kudos
pammiepearl

I have cut the straws down to cigarette size (I've done this before) and yes! I've done it along with mints to get that menthol taste.

I have been smoking for 37 years and if I don't wean myself off, I'm afraid I'm going to go off.

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@pammiepearl Maybe step back for a minute and reevaluate your quit.  Some quitters have quit by vaping, but it doesn't seem to be the best method.  It's seems vaping is even more addictive, maybe because of the availability.

With quit aids, there is a specific delivery system.  With smoking and vaping nicotine enters your lungs to reach your brain quickly.  Nicotine from nicotine replacement is absorbed different ways and doesn't enter your lungs.  The inhaler for example it absorbed mostly through lining of the mouth.  With the patch, nicotine is absorbed through the skin and blood stream.

These replacement therapies are designed to work differently to help quitters wean off nicotine gradually.  I used Welbutrin (medication) along with nicotrol inhalers.  

Take the time to  create a plan and to be prepared for what quitting involves.  Please read the material suggested.  This is a good link to help with tools to use, cravings, creating new association, etc.

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

This takes work even with an aid.   Remember to reach out before you smoke/vape, not after.  It really works.

Barb

0 Kudos
pammiepearl

I have a plan, got tools in place, including prescription medication.

How was your experience with nicotrol inhaler?

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@pammiepearl I've tried about everything over the years, even acupuncture and hypnotism.   I found the  combination  ofWelbutrin and nicotrol inhalers very helpful.  My pulmonary doctor was very influential in my quit.  He recommended both of these aids and encouraged me with a positive attitude.  He wasn't one of these doctors that says, you have quit smoking.

But again, they are aids, you still have to be prepared to the do the work.

You can do this too.  After 50 years of smoking I never though it would happen for me.

Barb

(Inhalers require a prescription).

pammiepearl

I fully intend on doing the work and you have been supportive and I appreciate it very much. 

Many in these "communities" are very judgy and seems they have forgotten that they once stood where I stand now. 

Sadly,  I came into this site for inspiration, helpful hints and the like and get people judging me who have never talked to me.

Don't get me wrong,  I'm not saying all are judgy, but many are. I find this particular modality VERY off putting and makes me want to bail this board.

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@pammiepearl Some people are more direct than others.  To me it's a different philosophy  on what support means.  I guess different things work for different people.  Someone will come along all the time and say" take what you want and leave this rest."  To me sometimes  that means  someone can say what they want.   It may not be what YOU need  to hear because our journeys are different.  

Anyway, there are some great people here that  really helped me quit.  When I look back what I wrote almost 5 years ago, I was going crazy and ready to smoke in a minute.  I came here and they encouraged me that I could do and it kept me from running off the store to buy a pack.

You can do this.  This is for  you, not anyone else.   So many people here want to be a part of you success.

If you slipped, it's barely.  You're learning how to this and it's not easy.

Hugs

Barb

madlydancing

Wow, thanks for the post! you help me😊 @pammiepearl don't give up!

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Try to connect stick with the community and this website by engaging--blog, comment, read etc. An active addiction often means attachment, neediness, excuse making, struggling to control oneself, self loathing...loads of upset, etc. I've gone through a lot to end my addiction and change my thinking--but it had to be one day at a time for me--that's all that I could handle. Behavior modification is a powerful tool to have--because doing things other than use will lead to emotional, mental, physical change over time.

Your quit is yours to build, and this is my opinion only, avoid holding onto the stuff that keeps your addiction alive--like vaping. You can do this, you can sort through your angst, keep reaching out. You came here, you asked for help--that tells me you want to find your way out. Keep working for that goal!

8f772996c438f869e186ed84640c96f9.jpgmaryfreecig_0-1672683892817.jpegb0e21fe073dcb50923b019cf8ee518b2.jpg