cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

david35

I quit this past Saturday

Hi people,
After being on Wellbutrin for a week and 1/2 I quit smoking. My last cig was Friday night, and I was staying up late to smoke more. I finally put myself to bed at 10:30 tired of smoking. I lasted all weekend until I went to work on Tuesday. I didn't think work would hit me that hard. I was feeling over-whelmed and needing that out. I ended up buying a pack and smoking again. That was yesterday afternoon. This morning I tried to smoke twice, and both times I put the cig out because it tasted nasty. I am disappointed in myself and keep saying to myself that I had a slip up and have stopped once again and to get over it.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

David,

Don't let a setback spoil your quit. Make a determination to yourself that you are going to stay with your plan and beat this addiction. Remember to take it one day at a time and when the going gets tough, take it one minute at a time. If you stay your course, the urge soon passes and you have become victor over one more temptation. There will be more temptations, but with each victory, the next becomes easier. Good luck and hang in there brother.

Dick
0 Kudos
david35

thank you
0 Kudos
david35

Hi Kristen,
Thank you for your encouraging words. I am glad I joined this website because these comments do help. Also reading stories of others helps me too.
I didn't see the humor in the staying up late thanks for that 🙂
0 Kudos
Susan57

Hi David, this is my 10th day, there is one slip up, on the 7th day. I smoked for 45 years and enjoyed it with coffee, wine, and friends. Not that I am old, but at my age anything can happen and more than likely it will be something I do not want to hear. On this one site whyquit.com is very helpful, it does say "Cold Turkey" is the way to go, this is the way I went and everyday is a challenge, so far I am the winner. It is like Dick says, "the urge to smoke passes quickly",. Do you have any hobbies? If not, find something you always wanted to do and do it, now that you do not smoke you have more time. Best Regards, Susan Sweet
0 Kudos
v00d00

Hey don't be so hard on yourself and don't give up.
we have all been there and it's tough but after a few days it does get easier.
If you can throw the rest of the butts away.
if you can't smoke away
then do not buy any more.
I do find that putting something else in my mouth helps.
And it doesn't have to be candy.
cloves help.. cinnamon is good...just a little ( and it's good for you)
And then again as i read this i think, boy, if i'm so smart and handing out advice how come i have only one day smoke free.

but you know i am going to muscle through this day.
and that's all i have to do.
tomorrow is another story
good luck and be kind to yourself ( a kind person would not give something that will harm you)
do anything you want just don't smoke!!
0 Kudos
nancy-paddock

I've tried everything but cold turkey but I keep reading it's the way to go. I just bought Last Smoke which is an herb to help with the cravings. I keep saying I'm going to quit, then I buy another pack. It's time to just do it. Don't beat yourself up; everytime we break a promise to ourself, about quitting, our self-esteem takes a big hit, as with any addiction. Hang in there; we can do it!
0 Kudos
mark3

Cold Turkey worked for me. I was a little apprehensive about swapping out one addicition for another... or so it seems to me. I hope it works out for you. I have noticed things tasting different so I am really trying to watch the food intake. Artisan breads and butter have become increasingly delicious... UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep trying we are all rooting for you!
0 Kudos

Day 3-Quit Day Sept 13th

It's obvious you really want to stop, David, so I am sure you will. Just learn from your relapse, so you can be more prepared next time. I found that book everyone promotes "Quit Smoking Naturally" to be incredibly helpful. Cold turkey? I didn't feel confident I could do that, so i took Chantix. It works beautifully for me with only minor nausea. Failure only comes when you give up and decide dying isn't so bad afterall and kept on puffing. I LOVE life. I want to LIVE! Therefore I am a non-smoker now and very proud to be one.

0 Kudos