cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

SaraCatkins

I messed up already. Trying AGAIN.

Well, yesterday I was halfway through day 3 and got into an argument with my boyfriend (or ex, I'm not exactly sure what we even are at the moment), and I made the stupid decision to buy a pack and proceeded to smoke them all. This has become a pattern for me since I started smoking again last November. Before that, I had been quit for 2 years, and before that I had a nearly 9 year quit under my belt and never thought I would smoke again, never thought of it or missed it or anything. I've done all the reading, know how nicotine addiction works, have distraction plans and all of that. Since November though, I have had probably over a dozen quit attempts and most only lasted a day or 2, one lasted a week. I always feel solid in the quit until I get into an argument with my boyfriend. As soon as that happens, my entire mood changes, I seem to lose all resolve and feel like "who cares" about my quit, and I go back to it. In the beginning, he was very supportive of me quitting (he quit himself 6 years ago, before we met), but lately, he says nothing or very little, and I didn't even tell him I was quitting this time until yesterday for fear this would happen again or fear he wouldn't even take me seriously since I've tried to quit countless times now since November and they never stick. When I mentioned it, he said nothing. I was expecting at least a "good job." I know I should not have let that affect me so much, but it hurt that he did not seem to care. He said he has started staying out of it because he feels like in the past I have later "used it against him" when he encouraged me to quit because I've worried he isn't attracted to me as a smoker (since I taste and smell like an ashtray and I feel it has affected my looks as well...). 

Any advice on how I can stop this pattern other than the obvious of stop buying cigarettes? I think I will just stop mentioning my quits to him at all now until maybe I am farther along. I had other stress yesterday as well with car issues and work, but I was firm in my resolve not to smoke until I had this argument with him, and then my thought pattern leads to "well if he doesn't even care, why should I," and I just give up. 

Also, am I going to have to start over with the physical withdrawals now? I felt like the nicotine had mostly left my system, and I was already sleeping much better, my anxiety was down overall, I was breathing better, etc. Last night, after smoking again, I slept horribly and woke up feeling like crap and exhausted once again. I'm basically torturing myself putting myself through withdrawal and trying to quit like once every week for months!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
19 Replies
Barbscloud

@SaraCatkins I've heard this said a number of times in my life--someone hurts you, so you hurt yourself to get back at them.  It makes no sense, but we humans do some strange things.  

You've probably heard this already, but life is going to happen whether we smoke or not.   Smoking probably did calm you down temporarily because you got a hit of dopamine, but that's put you back in the cycle of needing again.  Unfortunately, you do have to begin with the withdrawal again, but you can do that.  Decide you're not going to go through this again.

What tools did you identify to use when life happens?  Go for a walk to calm down and refocus your negative thinking.  Do your deep breathing exercises.

If you think it's better not to tell you bf then don't.  We always have to remember it's our quit.  No one else can be responsible for it.   If you haven't heard this before, before you smoke and certainly before you allow yourself to buy them, come to the Ex and wait until you get some responses.   Support does work.  I would never have gotten this far without it.

Start your quit again right away.  Don't look back and identify what you learned from this experience.  It's a new day and a new beginning.

This takes work, but you can do it.

Stay close.

Barb

SaraCatkins

Thank you. I reset my quit date for tomorrow. Yes, I have walking on my list of things to do. I even had the thought I should go on a walk, but I ignored it and bought cigarettes anyway. Next time, I hope I can choose to be more skillful and at least go for a walk or post here before buying more! 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@SaraCatkins Happy to see you're starting again today and not waiting.  My waiting always turned into years. 

Going for a walk doesn't have to be a big deal.  I always walked in the morning, but when I quit if I had a craving, I would just walk out the door and walk for few blocks.  It was just enough to refocus my thinking and you get the added boost of some dopamine.  

And remember, stay close and come here first before you act.

Keep us updated today.

Barb 

SaraCatkins

Thank you! Doing well so far. No smoking since last night. Even drove about 30 minutes one way to the nearest city to get some healthy groceries and cranberry juice and cravings weren't too bad on the drive. I brought chewing gum and something to drink and had snacks for my drive home. Listened to some podcasts to keep my mind occupied. I went on a short (very slow) run first thing this morning. My lungs felt like crap but that gives me added motivation to stay quit. During my 9 year quit, I got into long distance running and want to get back to that. Not easy to do when you're smoking, at least for me. My exercise mostly went out thr window whenever I was smoking. 

And yes, I've been there before where it took me over a year to try in earnest to quit again. Thanks for checking on me!

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@SaraCatkins That's a super beginning.  It' sound like you've been planning.  That's the way to do it.

Barbscloud_0-1649962531965.png

Barb

SaraCatkins

@Barbscloud Thank you! 🙂 

molzep

Oh those fights can really put an extra challenge in our quit! If you run into that situation again, try the walk if you can. I remember a situation on about day 5 where I was enraged by a guy at work. I went out, walked around the building, focused on some other things.. I admit that a cigarette might have delivered a quicker dopamine dose, but within 45 minutes, I was much calmer and oh so glad someone else didn't contribute to spoiling MY quit!

Stay strong and breathe deep!

SaraCatkins

@molzep Thank you! I appreciate the support and advice!

0 Kudos
SaraCatkins

Today hasn't been very hard so far. Stayed busy and just got super tired. Might try to nap.