cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

bearysmom

I just quit cold turkey 1.5 hours ago.

Hi, My name is Sheila and I am 28. Been smoking for about 5 years. Been with my fiance for a year on Monday and he's been on me to quit smoking because he's an ex smoker. So, in honor of our love and relationship and our future, I quit today. Smoked the last one about 6 pm cst. No patches, no pills, no money lol (that actually helps not having money)

I am just here to get support and guidance throughout my trials. I just ate my first supper and didn't have a cig after it. Even though I want one. I know it will get worse, the cravings but if I keep tihnking and realizing i'm quitting to have a future with the man of my dreams. I can do it!!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
amyz28

Hi Sheila,

Congrats!  You can do it!  I hear the urge to have a cig. is about 3 minutes long.  Just remember that next time you have a strong urge.  Think to yourself, "I can do anything for three mins".  I have just set my quit date and I feel like that will help me when I go through this.

Good luck!

Amy

0 Kudos
allaboutme

GOOD LUCK!

0 Kudos
dragulae

Hi Sheila,

Thank you for not smoking. My quit date was March 11 2011. I have been smoke free since then. Allow me to give you a few pointers:

The first few days are tough. The urges will become quite strong. This is only because of your smoking habits. Make sure you have your plan ready just in case you want to smoke. Having a snack handy, and a short activity that you can complete in about five minutes is very helpful. Eventually this will replace the sense of accomplishment, and the hand mouth coordination that you are used to. After that, during the next couple of weeks, you will notice you urges and cravings are less frequent and less powerful, especially after eating. I know it is tough to go through, but you can hang in there. After that, you will notice that your urges are insignificant, and tolerable. You may be irrate still, but your cravings will eventually dissappear.

Its better if you go running, walking, jogging, or take a fitness class somewhere to help with the weight gain. That will help with your urges and retraining your brain. There is a lot that is going on in your brain and your body when you quit. Take it one day at a time, remember your go to snack and activity, get in shape someway and somehow, and watch what you eat. In no time, you will be thinking that you've been smoke free for years. Just take it one day at a time.

0 Kudos
linda194

I agree find an activity. Mine was cleaning my kitchen cabinets and window since this is where I smoked mosted.  Perhaps the cleaner your house smells then less you will have the urge to smoke in it.  I am on Day 6 and what a difference from the first 3 days. Hang in there.

0 Kudos