cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

kilogram23

I have not had a cigarette in 25 days until today. I slipped up. I don't know why but I felt the urgency to smoke one. I don't know if it's because of all the stress and stones thrown in my path that I felt the need to smoke.

Was all that work for nothing? Or is the time put in still worthy even if I did slip up one time? 

33 Replies
ryan44

Yes stress is something you need to deal with but not with cigs. Always  remember NOPE ( not one puff ever). I have always kept that in mind. I’ve been quit for a little over 8 years. I never started again because quitting was hard enough the first time. During my first 2 months I lost someone close to me but I said I can’t mess up my quit. I also had a stoke the first year and fought my way back when I couldn’t talk didn’t even know what to do with a scratch off ticket. But I have held a waitress job for the past 4 years. I got through it all and never smoked and you can do it too. I had smoked for 40 years. Just start on day 1 and before you know it it will be a week or a month and you’ll be celebrating a year. All the info on this site is invaluable so read everything you’ve been told. Come often, the people here are great. I couldn’t get though this with out them.  

Ryan

SuzyQ411

I a so happy for your success ryan44‌, in spite of some very serious life events You are a winner!

kilogram23‌ check out this member's comment on this stream and also his home page and you will see that he has almost 8 years smoke free... also reading his blog "8 Years and NOPE" should further cement your understanding of the Not One Puff Ever, NO MATTER WHAT concept; I know it did for me and it will help me continue on this road to a long-term quit!! 

0 Kudos
Terry75

I love that, NOPE, Not One Puff Ever!! I’m new here this morning already on day two without nicotine but I’m way on the edge. Been smoking for 24 years and I need it out of my life. NOPE!!! Thank you for that.

YoungAtHeart

Terry75    DO do the reading I gave you earlier, and KEEP YOUR MIND ON THINGS OTHER THAN SMOKING.  These early days are difficult, but the only way out is through.  Change up your routines, go for a walk, march in place, clean out a drawer, take a bite out of a lemon, eat a bit of chocolate, sing or dance aloud to your favorite music, play a game on your phone.  I played Angry Birds nonstop for the first week!    The first days of a quit take work on your part.  Take them minute by minute, then hour by hour and it WILL add up to days.

Hang in there!  We ALL had to go through this part of a quit, and we made it.  You can, too!

Terry75

Thank you so much for the wonderful suggestions and the references for me to read up on. I’m gonna take it slow and continue planning because everything I did included a cigarette. Social gathering, house chores, attending concerts or clubs included smoking. Having a few after work on my Fridays definitely included smoking so now I have to change all of that and it’s a little scary for me because I am determined to quit but it seems so far away

NanKath

Today is one year for me. NOPE, no matter what has helped me immensely and I know it will help you also! Keep up the good work!

Kathy NOPE, no matter what!
366 DOF

WhispersQSMB

A few of us have been there, nicotine is an addiction . Don't quit on quitting. Stress, drinking a lot of triggers out there. You got some good advice. If you really want to be free you will do everything you can to educate yourself.

CrazyQuitter

KEEP TRYING!

It gets easier.

What are you going to do when you feel that stress again? Make sure you have a strategy in place!

May I suggest try some meditation techniques. There is so many of them on you-tube!

Also find something you think Might help you distress. Why not listen to some music while coloring in? There are heaps of coloring in for adult books out there! Johanna Brasford does some amazing work!

WhispersQSMB

Youngatheart is right, keep your mind off smoking.. Move a muscle, change a thought!. I had to replace smoking with something else, exercise is what made this quit work but there are many things you can do instead of reaching for the cigg. Some vape, i dont agree with that but thats just me.. Some smoke a joint, i dont agree with that but thats just me. You can scream in a pillow, do jumping jacks (my point is whatever works). Cut a straw or buy a fake cigg and use that at first and pretend youre smoking. The cravings and withdrawal get weaker and weaker but that takes time. Quitting is doable. If i can do it you can do it 

0 Kudos
Terry75

I feel you. Not gonna do the fake cig thingy because that’ll just piss me off and I’ll race to the store and buy some but I understand your concept. I’ve been doing keto over the past year and dropped 80 lbs so I can commit but my gym is closed and walks in the park are doable but too many people without masks are huffing and puffing so my outlets are looking dim but I’m optimistic about this because I need to do this. I am going to review the 101 things to do besides smoke and just keep relying on you guys’ support. I’m already thankful for y’all.