cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Ryanmc523

I don’t think I can do this

I have used zyn pouches for the past 5 years. My use of them permeate every aspect of my day to day routine. I wake up- I zyn; I brush my teeth- I zyn; I get to work- I zyn; I finish eating- I zyn; I drink a beer- I zyn; and on and on and on. My wife hates it and wants me to quit but I simply cannot. I’ve tried in the past. I don’t even get a “buzz” from it anymore. I haven’t for years. It’s more like if I don’t zyn I have an itch that I’m refusing to scratch until I lose my cool through frustration with simple things like traffic or someone at work. Everyone I work with uses zyn so there is a 0% chance I cannot be around it while quitting or afterwards. I don’t know where to begin or how I could stick to it or how I could avoid falling back into the habit after due to its prevalence at work and discreet ease of use everywhere else. Where do I even begin and how can I see it through? 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Ryanmc523

Further background. I use 15-20 6mg pouches a day. 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@Ryanmc523 Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your desire to quit. You can win that internal battle by educating yourself about nicotine addiction and putting a plan in place with how you'll deal with cravings, identifying your triggers and creating the new associations you'll create instead of smoking. This comes into play when you're having cravings in the morning. What can you do instead of using ? Change up your routine. Go for walk, read material on the Ex, if you drink coffee, for example, drink it in a different place, etc. Be creative.

And you just found an amazing group of quitters here to support you on this journey to becoming an Ex. There will be ups and downs, but that is part of the journey. We're here for you, so just reach out anytime we can help or want to share your experience. Pick a date, prepare and join us on your journey to becoming an Ex.  

This link is a great place to get you started on the right track. https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Consider taking the Daily Pledge to stay on track one day at a time.

Here are some posts you might find helpful:
Nicotine Pouch Products: More than just nicotine - EX Community

https://www.becomeanex.org/quitting-zyn-and-other-oral-nicotine-pouches/

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

0 Kudos
MarilynH

How are you doing @Ryanmc523 ?

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex. One way to quit is to walk not run. Notably you say you Zyn. Well the truth is you nicotine. The scratch you mentioned is a crave. Habits are hard enough to break, an addiction is harder. It takes time to square with the idea that it is over.

Everyone who quits nicotine has to face triggers, urges, impulses, craves... But preparing to quit can make a huge difference to a quit.

If you are not ready today that's OK. Take time to consider how you can work your way forward. There is nothing to lose by quitting, only it doesn't feel that way before quitting or early on. But the attachment/addiction dies in time. It gets better.

One step, one day at a time you can overcome your perspective on Zyn pouches. 

JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome, you have to start changing the narrative from can't to can.  You have to start believing that you can. Self Talk. It's POWERFUL