cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Espressogoals

What to expect when quitting vaping

I’m a former smoker that quit cold turkey years ago. Picked up vaping last year and now I’m ready to quit vaping. I use vaping so much, waking up at night, carry the thing around with me everywhere, using in public bathrooms, it’s out of control. I never craved nicotine like this as a cigarette smoker and am wondering if other vapers  were as addicted to nicotine as I am and their experiences in quitting.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Barbscloud

@Espressogoals Welcome to the Ex.  I've never vaped, but from what I've read, vapers are often getting more nicotine than when they smoked.  Add to that, that you can vape anywhere, when we had to delay when we smoked.  No matter the source, nicotine is an addictive chemical, so yes it can be hard to quit. 

The same principles to quit smoking will apply to your quit. It's important to educate yourself about nicotine and have a quit plan. Knowledge and preparation have been made quitting possible for many of us. I never did neither in the past and I was never successful. I was planning my quit this time and found the Ex a week before my quit date. I finally learned how to quit and how important support from other quitters can be. Read lots of material on the site. This link is a great place to start.

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Believe in yourself that you can do it. Approaching your quit one day at a time helps to alleviate much of the anxiety we experience when we think about quitting.

We're here to support you so reach out anytime you need help, want to share your experience, and to support other quitters.

There are a number of ex vapers here, so I'm sure you'll receive some input.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to EX @Espressogoals! Here are some resources on EX on quitting vaping if you haven't seen them yet: https://www.becomeanex.org/quitting-e-cigarettes/

As Barb mentioned, many of the principles you used to quit smoking can apply to vaping as well. Your experience in being addicted to nicotine through vaping is not unusual, as nicotine content can vary widely from vape to vape. If you need additional help, we recommend using FDA-approved nicotine replacement medications such as patches, gum, or lozenges as well.

Glad to have you post and hope you will continue to get support from our amazing EX Community members!

- Sarah, The EX Community Team

EX Community Admin Team
KayZoeckler

I am currently the same way, I’m trying to quit as I’m developing health issues. It’s so hard. I’m not sure how to do it. I want to throw my vape in the garbage but It’s like glued to me 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@KayZoeckler Welcome to the Ex.  Please read my post above to Espressogoals.  There's great information on the Ex site and support here to help with you quit. Throwing your vape in the garbage is a good start.  

No matter how you choose to quit, cold turkey or with aids, you need to educate yourself about nicotine addiction and have a quit plan. Many have found success with knowledge and preparation. It took me 50 years and many attempts to finally get it. I went into my quits blindly and was never successful. In addition to some aids for my final quit, I found the Ex a week prior to my quit. For the first time I learned how to quit and had the support that was always lacking.

Make the commitment and you can do this too. We're here to support you on your journey. So reach out anytime you need help, want to share your experience or to support fellow quitters. We're all in this together.

Start your day by taking the Daily Pledge. It's a great way to stay on track on day at a time.

Please consider posting to My Journal/Blog to introduce yourself yourself to the community and receive some well deserve support on this journey.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

0 Kudos
Chrisbagnato

I’m almost 6months from my quit date and still think about vaping. Taking large breaths help. I used vape in bathrooms too. It was always in me. When it died that was it. I never returned to my vape store to buy again. Saving money has been great too. Take it one day at a time and stay away from ur vape purchasing place. If u don’t go then u can’t buy. Good luck. 

Barbscloud

@Chrisbagnato Congrats on "almost"  6 months of success.  That's fabulous.  

Keep moving forward one day at a time.

Barb

0 Kudos