cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

12Finally34

I MADE THE PLEDGE

Today, 9:00 AM, I pledge not to have first puff.  

I tried quitting many times and relapsed

This time with new information about cigarettes, triggers, cravings.  Receiving the support on and off line, and accepting 2 facts from Carr's reading:  I am addicted to nicotine and brainwash my brain. 

Just a few days ago I was afraid to commit to a quit date.   Also, I complained about reading Carr until I took the bloggers' suggestion to read.  Now, I swear by his book!!  

This time of the night, I would be tearing up my house looking for a butt or a pack of cigarettes I lost.  

Brunch will be the true test.  

Will I dress like a wild woman to get to a bodega or will I use the 100 things to do list?

12Finally34

0 Kudos
29 Replies
Angie_machado

I'm the newbie your referring to lol. Congrats to you on quitting early!! WTG

0 Kudos
12Finally34

Taking a break from reading.  I am glad everyone is guiding me.  All I want to do is get out of my head.  OK.  I am writing it down so I will refer to you instead of saying the newbie.  

Just took a break from Carr.  I love how he dedicated the advantages of smoking - by leaving 3 blank pages.  

Since I picked up a cigarette at 21 I will gradually get that confident I  had at 21.  

I am terrifying that I will sabotage my efforts if I don't keep an eye on my triggers and cravings.

Talk tomorrow!  I hope your evening ended well.

12Finally34

0 Kudos
Giulia

I'm now totally confused.  What day did you actually quit (i.e. stop putting a cigarette in your mouth?)  Was it the 20th?  But you planned to quit the 25th?  Do I have this right?

Not walking with your smoking friends for a while is a good idea!  The early stages of our quits are the hardest to stick to and refraining from temptations and behaviors that we used to do on a regular basis is a good thing to practice.  Won't be forever.  Just until there's a sense of security in our quits.  Nice to know your friends were supportive.  Support makes a lot difference in the success of this journey.  Do keep drinking that water.  It helps , among other things, to fill that empty place in our guts when we're craving.  I didn't know if I was gonna sink from the amount of water I drank or float from the amount of deep breaths I took.  lol  

You say you "reached for cigarette."  I hope you've gotten rid of ALL cigarettes and lighters and ashtrays and all the paraphernalia that go along with what you USED TO DO.  You don't do that any more, so there's no need for them, right?!  

0 Kudos
12Finally34

Yes, you have it right!  I stopped on the 20th which is 6 days today.  My stop date on Ex..was 7/25.  

I decided to quit early; especially, after reading yours and Thomas blog in response to me not sure if I was ready to quit.

Yes, I have the reflex to grab for a cigarette.  No, I do not have cigarettes, lighters, ashtrays around or any paraphernalia that would remind me of a cigarette.  

You are right about the water sinking and floating feeling.  

Going to a nicotine meeting tomorrow and I plan to fake it to I make it about praying again...

Ok, putting another simple questions in the box.  

12Finally34

Jennifer-Quit

You can change your quit date on the EX site so that it is accurate.  We use that date for the Freedom Train celebrations.  No need to short yourself on days quit - you have earned them!  

0 Kudos
Giulia

Cucumber dance.gif               ONE WEEK OH YEAH!!!  

12Finally34

Right on time!!

Thank you!!

0 Kudos
Giulia

So what's the next milestone you're heading to?  Think about it.  Those milestones are something to head toward when the going gets rough.  We need to keep goals.  It helps.

0 Kudos
12Finally34

I been so intense about not taking the first puff, I never thought about goals. 

I will  brainstorm for now and then break it down: choose from the 100 things to do list,  include exercises, practice mindfulness meditation, use my veggie bullit, watch comedy, finish paint job, continue my nicotine meetings, eat healthy, use my ti chi tape

elvan

You are doing GREAT!

0 Kudos