cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

12Finally34

I MADE THE PLEDGE

Today, 9:00 AM, I pledge not to have first puff.  

I tried quitting many times and relapsed

This time with new information about cigarettes, triggers, cravings.  Receiving the support on and off line, and accepting 2 facts from Carr's reading:  I am addicted to nicotine and brainwash my brain. 

Just a few days ago I was afraid to commit to a quit date.   Also, I complained about reading Carr until I took the bloggers' suggestion to read.  Now, I swear by his book!!  

This time of the night, I would be tearing up my house looking for a butt or a pack of cigarettes I lost.  

Brunch will be the true test.  

Will I dress like a wild woman to get to a bodega or will I use the 100 things to do list?

12Finally34

0 Kudos
29 Replies
12Finally34

Hi, thanks!!! - How is it going today. Were able to get some rest!! Another way for me not to think about smoking is by thinking of others also.  Reading your blog about your family has helped me not to be so wrapped up in if I am doing this right.

0 Kudos
elvan

12Finally34‌ I think you are doing great, really, I think you are thinking but not OVER thinking.  I love the fact that you have meetings for support.  I went to my friend's house to work out in her pool in the morning and I had aqua therapy in the afternoon.  To say I am exhausted would be an understatement.  I feel as though I HAVE to take advantage of good weather.

No news on my granddaughter, I expect it will take some time to get an appointment and she is moving to college next week.  They are hoping to find a physician in Buffalo, NY since that is where she is going to be.  

Thanks for asking.  You are doing this.  SMILE!

Ellen

0 Kudos
shashort

Yay you on 3 days and sounds like you are getting the hang of this quitting thing. Keep going forward sounding good. Way to Ggo!!

0 Kudos
12Finally34

Thank you for the support!!  This disease is really tricky!

12Finally34

0 Kudos
Giulia

For me my desire to quit was not the factor that kept me quit.  It was the adherence to my commitment and that NOPE mantra that kept me steady on my journey.  I didn't really WANT to quit.  But once I did, I knew beyond a doubt that I never wanted another Day One.  Tomorrow most of the nicotine is out of your body.  (Unless you're using an NRT - sorry, don't recall if you are or not.)  The majority of it is all just a mind game, really, and a matter of reprogramming.  And continuing education is the ticket.  Congrats on the three.  Hang tight!

0 Kudos
12Finally34

Thank you!!

5 days

I do not know what NRT.  

I am using Chantix and Zyban.

Tried cold turkey with patch and gums and lost it.

Staying busy with small projects, avoiding smokers, and allowing my friends and family to support me.  Reading everyday about my addiction. 

12Finally34

Angie_machado

Yup!  We quit on the same day.  Your doing great.  So smart to read about Nicotine addiction as it has totally changed my thought process.  I too think Allen Carr's method is AMAZING.  Keep up your quit!  We're really doing it this time!!

0 Kudos
12Finally34

Hi, 

Day 6,  to keep it simple, I stick with the date I gave 7/25/17.  

Apologize in advance, I have so much to tell about my observations and study of the disease.  

I made a meeting last night and shared.  It was awkward but as the meeting progressed, I really looked into how I started and why.  I even realized that there was an invisible line I crossed that increased my intake from 1 to 2 packs a day.  I cannot believe how much money I was spending!

I followed the suggestions by keeping busy and breathing 5-10 times when the urge is strong.  

Today, I was looking at a friend's itinerary for Paris.  I got so excited reading that I reached for a cigarette.  I had to remind myself I don't smoke anymore.  So, this addiction/disease is very insidious and serious how it comes at us to have that first puff.  

Went to ear, nose and throat doctor.  My nose septum and sinus are inflamed.  I was given some medication and another appointment.  

I was warned that we have to be careful of the side of effects of medication for the cigarettes.  I am working with my lung doctor and hope that i will have enough information and tools to deter my own triggers and cravings after I completed package of the Chantex.  

This time we got the support and information to resist the urges and cravings.  We know how to address that little monster before the big monster appears (Carr's reading).  We got this with a heart beat at a time!! (lol).  We just got to trust and follow directions.

Don't like the colors I selected, so I am going to add different color to the living room.  It keeps my mind occupied.

This is our second day!  How are you feeling?  Paralyzed or moving about?

12Finally34

0 Kudos
Giulia

No, Chantix and Zyban are not nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) products.  They are not based on replacing the nicotine in our systems but rather Chantix interferes with the nicotine receptors in our brains to reduce the amount of physical and mental pleasure we derive from smoking.  Zyban is an antidepressant that acts on the brain chemicals associated with nicotine cravings and helps to alleviate the withdrawal symptoms.  Both have side affects that need to be kept in mind.  

Day 5 is great.  Stick with it!  You're doing just what you should be with that last sentence.

Staying busy with small projects, avoiding smokers, and allowing my friends and family to support me.  Reading everyday about my addiction. 
0 Kudos
12Finally34

I stopped before my quit date, I will have to mark it down.  I will stick with the quit date 7/25/17 to support the newbie who has the same quick date as mind.  I am aiming for a quick date with Chantex when I finish the starter pack.   I believe I will have enough information, meetings and strategies to help me.  

Suggestions are needed about this!  

Today was ok! Doctors appointments, meeting, lunch, and home without a major trigger.  I was able to tell my smoking friends I cannot walk with them because I did not want to change my freedom date from nicotine.  They were supportive. 

A major trigger came after I was home and became excited over reading a friend's itinerary for Paris!  I took a breath and reached for a cigarette.  It shook me.  I reminded myself that I do not smoke anymore.  I stop saying I am trying to stop and replace it with I do not smoke anymore.  

Today, I  noticed what I wasn't doing, drinking the water like I was in the beginning.  

12Finally34