cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

mombug

I'M NEW

Hi, I'm Mombug and I am a relapsed smoker. I quit twenty years ago, and it only took my about a month to become addicted to cigarettes again. I started smoking again around six months ago, and am determined to quit again. Thanks for any encouragement you can provide!!
0 Kudos
23 Replies
doreen1

Congratulations on making a very wise decision, mombug and DON'T GIVE UP! Recognize whatever it was that triggered your relapse, it will make you wiser this time around. Pick yourself up by your bootstraps, dust yourself off and start all over again. YOU CAN DO THIS! Holler if you need me 🙂
0 Kudos
polly2

Hiya Mombug -- great name by the way! Your post is an awesome one for all of us to see...it pays to be vigilant no matter how long it's been. Have you looked at the EX plan at all? The EX plan can help you to get started on identifying your triggers, tracking how much you smoke and relearning how to live as a non-smoker. You will find an incredible amount of support here!! We have so many awesome people who are successfully stopping, due to this site!! You are in the right place! When you do stop smoking, put up a post on the discussion page and you will get lots of support! I have found that the key for me is to remain positive -- it really helps to ease up on the mental struggle that we all go through. Also, I'd suggest that you read as much as you can, both here and on whyquit.com. Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing! Have an awesome weekend!
0 Kudos
polly2

Hiya Mombug -- great name by the way! Your post is an awesome one for all of us to see...it pays to be vigilant no matter how long it's been. Have you looked at the EX plan at all? The EX plan can help you to get started on identifying your triggers, tracking how much you smoke and relearning how to live as a non-smoker. You will find an incredible amount of support here!! We have so many awesome people who are successfully stopping, due to this site!! You are in the right place! When you do stop smoking, put up a post on the discussion page and you will get lots of support! I have found that the key for me is to remain positive -- it really helps to ease up on the mental struggle that we all go through. Also, I'd suggest that you read as much as you can, both here and on whyquit.com. Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing! Have an awesome weekend!
0 Kudos
lynn5

Welcome! Wow! I guess you are living proof that we can never ever let our guard down! Since it's only been 6 months, you may remember vividly how you dealt with situations when you weren't smoking. It takes so long to quit and so little time to become addicted or as in your case re-addicted. I read that once you start smoking there are receptors in your brain that become nicotine receptors. When you quit, little by little they diminish but you are never rid of all of them. Some of those nasty receptors are waiting, even for years for nicotine. Once they are fed they have a lot of power. Don't let them get the power over you again. You beat them before and you can do it again! Mine are still very awake and waiting and it's been 2 months. I smoked for 35 years so I probably have quite a few to beat. I wish you all the best. There are a lot of good people here who want to see you succeed, so stop back anytime.
0 Kudos
cindy25

At least you didn't wait YEARS to try again (like I did!). I quit with this program. It really helped me. I also used some nicorette gum for the first week. Congrats on making the leap to quit again. May this time - be your last!
0 Kudos
cindy25

At least you didn't wait YEARS to try again (like I did!). I quit with this program. It really helped me. I also used some nicorette gum for the first week. Congrats on making the leap to quit again. May this time - be your last!
0 Kudos
manofsteele

Super decision...... stop the madness.... I am an addict and I know just one puff and I would be screwed so I have decided Not One Puff Ever .....again....(NOPE)

I have set up groups to help others be more successful with their smoke free journeys.... stop by my home page if interested in seeing what has helped me stay smoke free for over 51 months .... others following similar steps are also here with strong long term quits.

just remember u did it before u can do it again ....just never stop fighting for the right to stay smoke free !
0 Kudos
mombug

Hi Polly, thanks for the support you have offered. I was pleasantly surprised to receive so many replies to my post. So much help is right there for me. I am in the process of tracking my cigarette use, most of my triggers are stress and talking on the telephone is a huge problem for me. I find smoking and chatting so darned relaxing. Thanks again for your offer of support and have a wonderful day!
0 Kudos
mombug

Hey ManOfSteele, thanks for your kind words. I can't believe it only took me a couple of puffs after twenty years to become addicted again. I am truly amazed at how I got sucked in again. It's such a crutch and each puff makes me feel like a weakling. With the help of everyone, I know I can do it again. I was alot younger then, but maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks. Thanks and have a great day!!
0 Kudos