How did you quit smoking ?.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@tburton1004 , what great advice to @j3ffmeadowsgm !

Terry is right, that EX has the information, tools, and support that will help you on your quitting journey.

You may find medication (like nicotine patches, gum or lozenges, or non-nicotine medication) might make quitting more comfortable. When cravings are less intense or withdrawal symptoms not as frequent, it may feel easier to work on the habit side of quitting like Terry noted -- identifying what your triggers are and then making plans to cope with those triggers in other ways.

More information about medication is available here: https://www.becomeanex.org/quit-medication-basics/

A helpful video and interactive tool about identifying triggers is available here: https://www.becomeanex.org/track-your-cigarettes/

Keep us posted how it's going!

- Megan, EX Team

EX Community Admin Team

View solution in original post

8 Replies
tburton1004

@j3ffmeadowsgm , everyone is different, but here are my thoughts. You can find ALL of this information on this website!

1. Make a plan. Start on the home page here (becomeanex.org) and look at “Your Ex Plan” and “Getting Ready to Quit.” Put the time and effort into making your plan! If you don’t, the rest of the steps will just be a waste of time.
  2. One of the most important parts of your plan is to identify your TRIGGERS. What thoughts, feelings, situations make you want to smoke? Get as specific and detailed as you can.
  3. Then, for each of your triggers, decide what you’re going to do instead of smoking. There’s a list on this site of 100 things to do instead of smoking. Write a list of your own and keep it somewhere you can always see it.
  4. Read everything on this site about nicotine addiction. It’s critical to understand that smoking IS an addiction, not just a bad habit that can be broken with enough willpower. Understanding the physical and psychological process of recovery will help it seem less scary.
  5. A support system can be a huge help — it made all the difference for me. Spend time in the Journals/Blogs section of the Ex Community, write posts, read posts, and know that you’re not alone and help is always nearby.

I hope this helps. Preparation is KEY, and then COMMITMENT and WILLINGNESS on your part. Quitting is hard and unpleasant — it sucks, it just does. But it DOES get better. What sucks even worse is having to start over again and again. Keep breathing. Keep NOT smoking. It’s the best gift you’ll ever give yourself.

Regards, Terry 365 Days of Freedom

j3ffmeadowsgm

The biggest balancing comes with finding other things to do with my time and I need counciling to separate my psychotic episodes from my depression. I need new medication for my depression. Right now I am going four hours without smoking and I return home and it's crushing depression. Smoking creates pain and that distracts me from feeling the depression but it makes the psychotic episodes worse.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@tburton1004 , what great advice to @j3ffmeadowsgm !

Terry is right, that EX has the information, tools, and support that will help you on your quitting journey.

You may find medication (like nicotine patches, gum or lozenges, or non-nicotine medication) might make quitting more comfortable. When cravings are less intense or withdrawal symptoms not as frequent, it may feel easier to work on the habit side of quitting like Terry noted -- identifying what your triggers are and then making plans to cope with those triggers in other ways.

More information about medication is available here: https://www.becomeanex.org/quit-medication-basics/

A helpful video and interactive tool about identifying triggers is available here: https://www.becomeanex.org/track-your-cigarettes/

Keep us posted how it's going!

- Megan, EX Team

EX Community Admin Team
Barbscloud

@j3ffmeadowsgm Jeff, now I know you know all of this. 😊 You've been on the Ex for a while now.  It takes work and commitment along with all the tools and education.   You're situation isn't the norm and I don't know that everyone realizes the situation your in.  

Love 

Barb

j3ffmeadowsgm

Thank you for the love @Barbscloud .

My councilor just told me I would have to find my own apartment if I wanted to move.   I am being pounded with depression right now. I can't afford my own apartment.

Barbscloud

@j3ffmeadowsgm Aren't you supposed to stay at the facility for now so that you can receive your treatment?

Barb

0 Kudos
j3ffmeadowsgm

@Barbscloud  they said they would help me get an apartment but when I pointed out that they had no idea what they are doing concerning apartments my case manager agreed and told me I would have to find an apartment myself. My case manager was taking it personally when I said they don't know what they are doing.

I have a meeting today at 3pm with the director of the apartment program and I am going to ask her what my options are.

Today I am adopting the N.O.P.E. mantra and I have shaved and washed my hair and picked an outfit to wear.

Barbscloud

@j3ffmeadowsgm Make a good impression!   It's hard, but sometimes we have to bite our tongues.  Work toward your goal.

Barb

0 Kudos