cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

jamesandadina

How to quit when you kind of don't want to?

Need to quit. But kind of don't want to. What can I do

34 Replies
Daniela2016

We all felt the same, and used the "I really like smoking" as excuse to keep smoking.  The reality is that our "like" is about the high the cigarette gave us with every puff.  Accepting we are addicts, and change our lives with this knowledge in mind is what makes the difference between a successful quit and a failed one. 

Quitting requires a lifetime commitment, but it can be done, if you put your mind to it. 

You might not be ready today, but if you take the time to read everything it's been made available to you, you might change your mind and declare yourself ready for it. 

That is the first step; and the rest, we will help along, we'll help you see/find the best way for you to quit.  We are all different, but there are at least 2 truths defining all of us: we are addicted to nicotine, and smoking kills.

Please stay with us, read, make a plan which suits your needs, and go for it.  You will be happy and proud of your decision, and that will be stronger than the inconvenient craves you have to go through during the process of quitting; we'll teach you how to deal with these too.

Congratulations on finding us!

Gwenivere

Lots of previous good advice.  You say need to quit.  Suggests to me there’s a health issue maybe? That’s what got me.  I had no plans of quitting til a hospital stay and now using occasional oxygen.  I liked smoking too, like everyone else.  I didn’t even have time to plan for this, but it was time no matter how I spun it.   I can only say it’s your choice, you have to choose your priority.  If you choose to quit, this place is a great help.  Keeps me going. 

stAn3

I did it by coming to this site everyday while I was still smoking, reading and sharing honestly how I felt. People here gave me suggestions and honest feedback. I eventually got to a point where I was willing to attempt to stop. I made a quit plan, set a quit date, and kept coming to the site everyday in the beginning of my quit. Now it’s a few months out. I think of smoking less, no big craves. I still visit the site to check in because if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Gwenivere

I didn’t have time to make a plan.  I came here when I was  still bargaining with cigs even tho I was released from the hospital after 10 without any.  It was always an issue because of my COPD.  I wasted that 10 day start and realized.....my gawd, I am really an addict.  I got some kind reprimands that I needed and am now at 2 weeks.   I truly relate to the newbies, but have such appreciation for those that have years under their belts and stay to help those in need.  Congrats on your few months.  I don’t even like cigs anymore. I’m grateful for that.  Just want the nicotine and will tackle that with the NRT program.  NOPE has a whole new meaning for me.  Craves are more intense for the nic, just waiting til distractions to work better.

minihorses

Sorry to say but you may not succeed without really wanting it. Each person is different and some may be able to quit by learning all about the addiction. If you can identify the areas you need to concentrate on to turn that 'I'm not sure I want to' into an 'I want to quit and will do what it takes to ultimately achieve that goal' your success may be more solidified.  Keep Close to Ex and actively protect your decision and ability to quit.  We'll be here anytime you need a hand.

Julie

King1961

Hi, I didn’t want to either. My story may be unusual and can’t say everyone will have my experience, but it’s possible. I’m 57, half to 3/4 pack a day smoker for 37 years. Last winter, about this time, I began having bad shortness of breath. Blew it off to allergies or whatever. It got worse and after smoking became worse. Went to a pulmonologist and diagnosed with COPD? What!!! I’ve never had an issue before this. Long story short, I use a puffer everyday, still have difficulty breathing even without exerting myself and IT SCARES THE HELL OUT OF ME! I quit last July and will never smoke again. Too late, only time will tell. I want to play with my future grandchildren and just be able to breathe normally. Have since takes two sisters to quit. Just my story, get what you can from it? 

JACKIE1-25-15

You have to be willing to change your mindset.  That you do not need to smoke. 

Pawr

Hi, I quit on December 3. I hate this crap and would embarrass myself telling you how often I have thought about having a cigarette since then.  I am taking this as it comes. Every lousy crave is a mental wrestling match. I am noticing some things like taste and smells. Some of the stronger smells I could do without in all honesty. My reason for putting up with this is really basic. I am smart and smoking is dumb. It's time, hell, it's way past time!!

karenjones

You know what? When the idea of smoking comes up, drop it. Don't argue with it. Change the subject. Don't entertain it. If you do, you entertain the devil.  the addictions devil. Just one day at a time, on hour, one minute. Don't even think about the future. Just live smoke free in this one moment. You can do it. and what a beautiful way to ring in the new year.

0 Kudos
Sandy-9-17-17

List your reasons why you need to quit, then compare to why you don't want to!  I pretty much felt just like you feel.....

Welcome to EX.  

I needed to quit, because while sick I was sent in for a chest x-ray to see if I had pneumonia!  I didn't, but they did find some spots on my lungs, and here I am 1 year and 102 days later into my officially last time ever, having to quit this addiction that was ruining my health and costing me money!  My spots a year later are calcified, but that doesn't matter.  The scare of hearing spots on lungs that could potentially be, or even lead to cancer spoke volumes to me!  My life matters more than smoking.  Welcome to EX, and I hope you are willing to jump on board and beat this addiction along side of  the many here who are doing it !