cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

StacyS

How long until my reflexes adjust...

My quit day is tomorrow.  I am down to 3 cigarettes a day; tomorrow is 0.  I find my self checking my pockets for my cigarettes and lighter whenever I go to leave the house or work, walk the dog, etc.  It's like a reflex even though I really don't want one or feel a craving for one. I remind myself that I don't smoke anymore and go on my way. When do those little automatic habits cease?

38 Replies
StacyS

Ironically, I put lip sticks in all my coat pockets so I can fidget with them the way I use to fidget with my lighter, lol

Wisteria

I only smoke outside (My quit date is 11/1) I'll get rid of my ash trays, but I need to keep lighters handy to light candles in my house.  I can remember times when I used the toaster to light a cig because I was out of matches and lighters.  Glad that will never happen again.

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex Wisteria.  Congrats on picking a quit date.  Look forward to hearing from you more.

Barb

StacyS

Congrats on making the best decision of your life!  Your body will thank you and you will have more money in your wallet! I'm only on Day 4 of this journey but each day gets a bit easier.  I have hard moments during the day and I find a distraction until the urge leaves my mind.  This site has definitely been great for me.  Best of luck, keep in touch!

greattobeanEX

Hang in there! They are just habits! We all had them. I am at day 28 and still going! I too felt the panic so to speak leaving for work, getting in the car etc but they have pretty much disappeared. Lots of ice water and focused deep breathing helps me. Congratulations on your new lifestyle -you won't regret it! I sure don't!

elvan

greattobeanEX‌ GREAT ADVICE!

StacyS

Thank you greattobeanEX!  Day 4 for some reason has been a slightly challenging morning but I refuse to give in.  My stubbornness is a blessing me for once! I look forward to my 1 month celebration!

greattobeanEX

So how is it going? Today (10/26) is day 32... this past Monday was step-down day for patches.My husband and I couldn't decide whether it was the fact we knew we weren't getting the same nicotine etc or just the difference in dosage level-but Monday/Tuesday was a little "wonky" so to speak-but here we are still plugging away! I had a gentleman pop his head into my office the other day to say Hi and that he had heard I had quit smoking. He told me don't give up! He hasn't smoked for about 30 years and he will still get cravings once in a while. So don't get discouraged! We are all in this journey together!

StacyS

I am good! Friday was very tough. I forgot to put my patch on. I didn't want a cigarette at all but I felt very unbalanced; my hormones were beyond raging.  I left work early. Put a patch on, took a nap and woke feeling fine.  I have to admit that I am worried about shifting from Step 1 to Step 2 but it cannot be worse for me than how I felt with no nicotine!  Fortunately my step down days are on Saturdays so I won't have to deal with work. 

Congrats on your first smoke free month! That's awesome! We got this!