cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

gudwitch44

How do I just go cold turkey ???

I want and need to quit smoking but I keep saying just one more and that’s it !! Never works that way. I’m afraid to not have that pack of cigarettes almost like a security blanket- any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

12 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

Have you quit yet?

0 Kudos
Sandy-9-17-17

gudwitch44‌  Would you be more afraid to have someone tell you your diagnosis includes spots on your lungs vs. not having that pack around that only serves to entice you to smoke?   

Yes, 43 years of harming myself with these things and now I'm waiting for that second CT Scan!  And if it comes back clean, and that there is nothing to worry about?  Do you think I will say, awesome, that means I can go smoke?   No way!  

One way or another it is going to hurt you in the long run!   I hope my scan will be clear or no change, but one thing is for sure, I'm glad I put them down, and for good this time!  I don't need this kind of scare, not when I love life so much!  

I hope you can set your mind, get on board with a plan, and come here often to use all the great tools and great people here and be free!  Smoking is really doing nothing good for you!  Hope to see more of you!  

How to do it cold turkey?????

Put them down, soak them in water, throw them out and start living free!  Use the tools here on EX or go to WhyQuit.com

You can do it!

Sandy 281 DOF  

maryfreecig

To quit, 

You set a date (after considering what suits you--relatively soon but not so far off that the set date is pointless)

You plan for craves (and especially for the first few days) by making a list of all the things you are willing to do to stay away from smoking.

You stay in touch with a support group like Ex before you quit and after.

You watch quit videos and info (easily found on YOUtube--avoid quick and easy methods to quitting just stick with  the honest stuff). Read about nicotine addiction. 

Focus on the fact that you can quit, not that you want just one more. Because you've declared to yourself that you want to quit, must quit, there has to be a pretty darn good reason you've come to this conclusion.

Realize that quitting is work for many of us---but it doesn't have to be horrible and it won't be hard forever. In the end it's like winning top prize--better than the kick of nicotine which fades in minutes and begins calling for another hit soooo sooooon.

Appreciate that you are capable of quitting and that your plan is the medicine you set out for yourself.