cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

cococay1964

How can I quit when I can't do much of anything?

How did you manage to quit! Being unable to do much of anything except sit in a chair all day, I keep smoking 

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@cococay1964 Welcome to EX.  We've had others who weren't able to move around much quit successfully. I've moved this post to it's own topic so it gets more responses. I'm glad you posted a reply to the site. Keep getting involved here on the community. That is a great way to start figuring our your personal quit journey.

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
Maki

I’m sorry you are unable to move around a lot . That can’t be easy , but you can quit smoking . Much of quitting is how we think , not necessarily what we do . 
Positive self talk and changing the way you think are powerful tools that can lead you to having success . Helping others here , encouraging others , pledging , playing the games in the games forum , all these things can help . 
Try a paint brush in your hand instead of smoking  or buy a musical instrument and use the net to learn how to play it . All those things can help get your mind off of smoking . Be creative , make gifts maybe if you are able to for others in your community struggling etc . Keep a journal , write a book . 
There will be others here to help , links to read , etc . I’m so glad you came . Welcome to Ex . 

cococay1964

Thank you, that helps

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

If you have hands to smoke you have hands to do something else.  What are some other things crafty that you can work on.  Or even a puzzle. Here is a  list. to help 101 Things to Do Instead of Smoke   Choose the ones that do not require movement.  It is all up to you.  Never give up. 

maryfreecig

I know it is hard to believe that there are other things to do besides smoke, but it is true. It seems that there must be a compelling reason for you to quit or you would not be here, and that is as  good a starting place as any. The Mayo Clinic part of this website offers interactive pages for you to use as a way to figure out how you can quit. Have you started or looked at your my-plan page?

As for specifics about what else you can do, that depends on what else you like to do. This does not mean what else you like to do as much as you like to smoke. We all smoked regularly (active or not). I smoked every 20 minutes in the morning to catch up. Then I smoked every half hour or forty minutes to maintain after that. I always felt an urgency to smoke and I smoked when I woke up during the night.

I was hooked, just like you. Each of us has to get creative when we start to plan to quit. We have to break through our comfortable addiction zone and consider new possibilities. Every quitter needs to figure out new rewards, new activities, new rules!!!

Most smokers begin with making a plan they can live with (written or kept in mind), a day or time frame for quitting, and before quitting testing the waters by not smoking at usual triggers--holding off--kinda trying to see what it feels like.

If you are not ready for any of this, then hang around, read and learn, ask more questions, keep visiting your my plan pages. Think about your options.

Most of us had to work to get over our addiction--at the start, many of us were so addicted that the attachment seemed unbreakable.

Well it is breakable and you are no different. That's the good news. Welcome to Ex--you have a quit community that wants you to succeed.

Also why not talk to your doc about quitting aids, including champix or the like? With a good plan, these aids have been known to be helpful.

Maki

Your post @maryfreecig is a keeper . Bookmarked . 

0 Kudos