Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Dani_2017

How are my quit smoking buddies doing?

Hi everyone!

Hope you all are doing well. 

Just wanted to write this to check in on my fellow newbie quitters (or newbie-ish quitters). 

How is it going Angie_machadoShowiestodinDiannnnnmaxine55tlajbenncoreinstincts‌ ?

Sorry if I forgot to tag anyone! 

Tags (1)
22 Replies
12Finally34

Hi Dani,

I really don't know how to explain Carr's work.  

I know it took me a few days to comprehend his message.  

When that big moment came, I really swear by his words.  

In my 45 years of smoking, I could not connect nicotine with addiction and the fact that I had to change my thoughts about cigarettes.  

I have not completed the book because I keep going back over the first 75 pages for reinforcement or if I misread his directions (more I clear up - the more teachable I become).  

I had to come to believe in something these past 3 weeks.  Carr's book is what helped me to use the web site for support, attend nicotine meetings, detox from Chantix, and be honest about my depression. 

Today, I found myself in a situation where I was with a smoker.  I remembered Carr's suggestion to replace envy with pity/empathy.  So instead of being a reformed smoker - I am an Ex smoker and my conversation with the smoker was not condemning and pompous.  I passed the Become An Ex card and my number without a sermon.

Carolyn

Daniela2016

Congratulations on your progress and experiencing the joy of quitting!  Staying positive about it will make it so much easier to "ride" the craves, and accumulate days of freedom!

Image result for Great Job Proud of You

coreinstincts

I don't ever remember my dreams but I do remember having one smoking dream; I woke up in cold sweats. I have conditioned myself with a quit around other smokers so I don't have that problem. I have allowed them to smoke around me so that it doesn't bother me later; the one thing I will not allow is the smoking in small enclosed spaces like a car. I think my dream was about my quit being threatened and that day I had a rough time of it and had to actually leave my house to save my quit.

coreinstincts

Take a walk and o to the park look at things that have beauty in them, hun. Remember we did not put ourselves here overnight and it is going to take the time to get out of here. So be patient with yourself and with others that don't know or understand what you are going through getting plenty of rest, read and post often, staying close to this site and to the elders, remember to pledge every day, ride the freedom train daily, and most of all blog, post how you feel daily and what is going on. That is how your quit is going to work for you!

Dani_2017

Park walks are my favorite! I'm lucky to live close to a park here. 

How are you doing today? 

0 Kudos
Diannnnn

Welcome. You can do this. coreinstincts‌ have excellent advice. There is a lot of information here. Take the time to read.

Cranky is better than not breathing. Cranky will pass, death tends to be permanent.

constanceclum

I'm a newbie at 32 DOF.. I've had a couple of smoking drinking. I'm smoking in the dreams and then I feel the shame. When I wake up, I choose not to dwell on them but they are kind of nerve wracking. Keep it up, as I will for another day won!

Connie

MarilynH

You all are doing great Connie and another Day WON is awesome each and every day, congratulations on your 32 precious DOF and counting....

Dani_2017

Hi, Connie! 

Welcome to this post, I'm glad you found it!

How are you doing today? 

Today is day 16 for me. I can't wait to get to a full 20. 

0 Kudos
bonniebee

sayings quit smoking 2 (2).jpgA few things for you Newbies !!!sayings quit (2).jpgI Love this one ........sayings  quit  smoking funny.jpgKeep it simple laugh a lot and I bet you can laugh more freely now !  My smoking cough went away quicker then I thought it would ! I used to old back laughing because I would have a coughing fit..... that is the way most smokers sound when they have a good laugh it ends in a lot of choking !

You all are doing a great job ! Isn't it great to have Buddies ? sayings quit mountain climbers keep going.jpg