cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Baby-J

How am I doing?

I've been on Chantix for 19 days and today is my 6th day smoke free. I am super proud of myself and today I had only one minor crave I dont even know if it was a craving as much as it was a passing thought and quickly went away. My question is how much is me doing this and re learning how to go through day to day without smoking and how much of this is the medicine. Because right now I am proud of me...but should I be? Is this just chantix doing all the work? And if so what is life like after chantix. Do the cravings and urges come back? How will I cope with those without chantix on my side? I am just so happy to be in this space I am right now I feel so good but I am just so worried about down the road. I am asking past chantix users how did you cope without the medicine? Did urges come back and how did you stay smoke free? Thank you all in advance. 

21 Replies
elvan

I did not use Chantix or any NRT's but I came to this site every morning and every evening and I posted and I read and I read and I read...looking for what was working for others.  I had many failed quits in my past, the biggest difference THIS time was EX and the support and education I got from the site as well as my own commitment.

Welcome to EX, you sound like you have the right attitude to make this your forever quit.

Ellen

Deena-A-Yenni

Welcome!  You sound good and solid albeit inquisitive.  You got this.  Stay close to this site.

0 Kudos
anaussiemom

Studies show staying on Chantix for months, helps" many more folks...

Talk to your doctor!!

Good job

0 Kudos
indingrl

CONGRATS ON 9 NICOTINE FREE DAYS FREE! WAY TO GO!

Baby-J

Thank you so much! I saw this and smiled. Thank you. It just started getting much easier.

0 Kudos
Baby-J

I am still trying to talk my husband into quitting. Telling him about chantix. I dont think he really believes me at how much easier it was compared to our other attempts to quit. When you're a smoker for so long you forget what it feels like to have freedom from that constant need. I find myself truly enjoying things again and not instead thinking "oh when is this going to end or go on a break so I can go out and have myself a smoke." I just gotta find a way to connect with him on this i know he has to make the choice himself so I dont wnt to be a nag.

I go to the dr Tuesday for a check up I cant wait to tell her about the success I've had so far! Thank you guys for your support!

Giulia

"When you're a smoker for so long you forget what it feels like to have freedom from that constant need." So very true.  Wise words!  You're doing great.  Keep doing it!

Baby-J

I wanted to share this too it was weird.  This happened to me two days ago; I needed to call my grandmother she started chantix the same day as me but quit the 23 of March (I think a week before I did) any way I needed to call her and I mentioned before I have a 3yr old and he needs 100 million things as soon as I need to call somebody (typical) anyway so I was going outside to make that call and I went for the handle of the door stopped and thought oh I dont have a lighter and I turned around to get one and then remembered I dont do that I dont need a lighter I dont smoke anymore.

It was so weird. It wasnt a craving it wasnt an urge, i wasn't "hurt" or bummed about not smoking it was just an "oh shoot, oh duh" moment. 

I cannot wait for the muscle memory of smoking to go away. I cannot wait until I feel like a non smoker. 

Giulia

I don't remember that ever happening to me, (when I quit it was ever on my mind in the beginning) but there are PLENTY on here who have experienced that same thing.  Personally I think it's great that you're  at a stage where smoking isn't consuming your every thought.  Being triggered in that way indicates to me that you managed to forget about a cigarette for a while.  Rejoice!  lol

elvan

You are doing GREAT!  I LOVE the memory of the fact that you don't do that any more.  It will occur many times on the journey, at least it did for me.  Every time, I felt stronger.  

Ellen