cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ottgirl

Hi, new ex-smoker here.

I am a 34 year old and am day number 4 of being a non-smoker. Still finding it very hard although I did prepare myself for a good 6 months prior to quitting. I decided to do it on my b-day as my present to myself. I am taking Chantix and helps alot but I still find myself wanting to smoke at least 5 times a day but instead have been drinking lots of water and exercising. Wish me luck, this is my 2nd attempt in about 18 months. I was a pack a day for about 12 years, on and off.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
jeff-williams

Hello, I am on hour number 17 as a non-smoker. Your 4 days are inspirational to me at this point because my goal is the first 24 hours and it is an internal battle. I was a pack and a half for the last 2.5 years. I started a relatively stressful business a couple of years ago and there went my weight and my smoking....both exploded. I am determined to have success professionally without sacrificing my physical, mental or spiritual. This is the first step in accomplishing that goal. Thank you for your post. You insprired me to make it through the first 24 and the first (4) days. Keep posting and I will keep following you.
0 Kudos
ottgirl

good for you!! the first day is definately the worst. I am on day 5 now and it is alot easier and the cravings are alot less, today so far i have only had 2 bad cravings and have even gone a couple hrs without thinking of smoking. Still exercising and drinking lots of ice water but did not take chantix today because it made me very irritable yesterday and I could not sleep for 2 nights-might decrease my dose or just not take, we'll see. i did print off pictures of a smokers lung and cancer of the lung and hung them around the house and car and this is also helping alot. keep posting and take it one day at a time, you are a non smoker and i am a non smoker!!
0 Kudos
edith2

Second time is a charm! Read the blogs, join some groups, and make some new friends! The people on this website are awesome. Educating yourself is a great tool as well.
0 Kudos
edith2

Second time is a charm! Read the blogs, join some groups, and make some new friends! The people on this website are awesome. Educating yourself is a great tool as well.
0 Kudos
jeff-williams

39 hours now and holding strong. Some irritability. Some irrational anger. Caught it early on and got over it. One of my big triggers was driving. I used to smoke a couple of cigarettes while driving to work, then stand outside my office building and have another. Yesterday afternoon I had to go for a drive, and my radio is broken, and I had the worst cravings ever! I thought of stopping at a gas station and just buying 'One Last Pack'. I thought of stopping by the office and having my assistant bring just one of her cigs down. But I didn't. I kept thinking that one moment of weakness and my hours get reset to the beginning. I am so impressed with people who have 5 days and 6 days and 7 days. I am big on faith and character and I now see how much of both are required to make it through this journey successfully. Congrats to all of those of you ahead of me in days, and good luck to those of you behind me. Thanks for the awesome support. Feeling stronger now!
0 Kudos
ottgirl

day 6, almost 7, and still holding on. had couple cravings today but worked through them-quicker now. going to have some drinks tonight with my cousin who has never been a smoker and refuses to allow me to be one again, got the nicotine gum ready just in case. sounds like you are doing good, keep taking it one day at a time!!
0 Kudos
ottgirl

thanks, i truly believe that i will never smoke again and if my kids have anything to do with it, which they do, i know i won't. getting some good advice here and it helps to read about people like you who finally kicked the habit and have not started up again after a couple of months. i can and will do it too!!!!!!!
0 Kudos
joni3

Good luck it will get easier ...
Tell me whats the hardest part for you?
0 Kudos
ottgirl

I had a stressful day yesterday and am tired this morning, so I guess the hardest part now is dealing with the craving for one when these things happen, used to smoke alot when stressed or tired and thought it helped, starting to realize now that it really didn't and I always had to smoke more and more.
0 Kudos