cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

sheila12

Hi- I'm new and having a HARD TIME!!! PLZ HELP!!!

Hi! I am new here- finally got my computer back working after trying to join last week..

I have been on Chantix for a month or so- and have been QUIT for 13 days.

The urges today & yesterday are so strong...
Thought they would not be so bad-

I AM STRUGGLING not to smoke. I"m getting thru the urges-the triggers-- but have realized it is the STRESS that I am having a hard time not to smoke thru...
Please help me if you have any ideas.

I have smoked for 27 years- I am about in tears as I write this- cuz I want to smoke.. ISN'T THAT THE CRAZIEST THING??? IS THIS NORMAL?? I even kind of miss them-- WHAT THE HECK AM I SAYING????

It is crazy how my mind is rationalizing to smoke--I am thinking dumb things- like- I can smoke right now and NO ONE would know...
OH---- Just need some help-
IM NOT GONNA SMOKE!!! IT IS NOT AN OPTION!!! I feel like I am going crazy and wondering if I got a placebo or something- it didn't seem this HARD last week....If anyone can help me- please ..Thank you for listening...
0 Kudos
13 Replies
rj_

Sheila, if you have been nicotine free for thirteen days then there should be no physical withdrawls left, you are experiencing mental challenges, First thing quit romanticizing those cigarettes, there is nothing there you need, they are just a delivery device for nicotine. Like a needle for a junkie, just a tool for the means to an end.

keep the faith, do not puff, do some deep breathing, do some research on nicotine addiction. As long as you stay nicotine free it will improve,

Let me fill you in on how your brain was convinced smoking helped with stress:
As a using nicotine addict you became accustomed to a certain level of nicotine in your blood, when a stressful situation happened a chemical reaction takes place in your body turning your urine acidic, that in turn would rapidly decrease the blood nicotine level, causing your body to go into withdrawl, like you had not had a cigarette in a long time, If at all possible you immediately went to smoke, thus increasing your nicotine level in your blood, that immedaitely decreased the withdrawl symptoms, thus making you think smoking helped stress.

Remember the only physical need for nicotine was to end withdrawl, since it has been 13 days that nicotine is already gone there is no withdrawl, only mental challenges to overcome.

You can avoid withdrawl only by NTAP

I am attaching a file to read, you will find it helpful.

RJ...Free at Last after 32+yrs of feeding the addiction to the tune of 2-4 packs a day, free 361 days, saving 50 days of life, and $3,298.12, not inhailing 14,442 death sticks, one day at a time by choosing to NTAP NOPE
0 Kudos
rj_

Understanding the Emotional Loss

Experienced When Quitting Smoking

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In her 1969 book, On Death and Dying, Elizabeth Kubler-Ross identified five distinct phases which a dying person encounters. These stages are "denial," "anger," "bargaining," "depression," and finally, "acceptance." These are the exact same stages that are felt by those mourning the loss of a loved one as well.

Denial can be recognized as the state of disbelief: "This isn't really happening to me," or "The doctor doesn't know what he is talking about." The same feelings are often expressed by family members and friends.

Once denial ceases and the realization of impending death is acknowledged anger develops. "Why me?" or "Why them?" in the case of the significant others. Anger may be felt toward the doctors, toward God, toward family and friends. Anger, though, doesn't change the person's fate. They are still in the process of dying. So next comes bargaining.

In bargaining, the person may become religious, trying to repent for all the sins that may be bringing about their early demise. "If you let me live, I will be a better person, I will help mankind. Please let me live, and I will make it worth your while." This stage, too, will come to an end.

Now the patient, becoming aware he is helpless to prevent his impending fate, enters depression. The patient begins to isolate himself from his surroundings. He relinquishes his responsibilities and begins a period of self mourning. He becomes preoccupied with the fact that his life is coming to an end. Symptoms of depression are obvious to anyone having contact with the patient in this stage. When the patient finally overcomes this depression he will enter the last stage, acceptance.

The patient now reaches what can be seen as an emotionally neutral stage. He almost seems devoid of feelings. Instead of death being viewed as a terrifying or horrible experience, he now peacefully accepts his fate.

As stated above, these stages are not only seen in the dying person but likewise in the family members mourning the loss of a loved one. However, on careful observation we can see these same stages in people who lose anything. It doesn't have to be the loss of a loved one. It could be the loss of a pet, the loss of a job, and even the loss of an inanimate object. Yes, even when a person loses her keys, she may go through the five stages of dying.

First, she denies the loss of the keys. "Oh, I know they are around here somewhere." She patiently looks in her pockets and through her dressers knowing any minute she will find the keys. But soon, she begins to realize she has searched out all of the logical locations. Now you begin to see anger. Slamming the drawers, throwing the pillow of the couch, swearing at those darned keys for disappearing. Then comes bargaining: "If I ever find those keys I will never misplace them again. I will put them in a nice safe place." It is almost like she is asking the keys to come out and assuring them she will never abuse them again. Soon, she realizes the keys are gone. She is depressed. How will she ever again survive in this world without her keys? Then, she finally accepts the fact the keys are gone. She goes out and has a new set made. Life goes on. A week later the lost keys are forgotten.

What does all this have to do with why people don't quit smoking? People who attempt to give up smoking go through these five stages. They must successfully overcome each specific phase to deal with the next. Some people have particular difficulty conquering a specific phase, causing them to relapse back to smoking. Let's analyze these specific phases as encountered by the abstaining smoker.

The first question asked of the group during the smoking clinic was, "How many of you feel that you will never smoke again?" Do you remember the underwhelming response to that question? It is remarkable for even one or two people to raise their hands. For the most part the entire group is in a state of denial - they will not quit smoking. Other prevalent manifestations of denial are: "I don't want to quit smoking," or "I am perfectly healthy while smoking, so why should I stop," or "I am different, I can control my smoking at one or two a day." These people, through their denial, set up obstacles to even attempt quitting and hence have very little chance of success.

Those who successfully overcome denial progress to anger. We hear so many stories of how difficult it is to live with a recovering smoker. Your friends avoid you, your employer sends you home, sometimes permanently, and you are generally no fun to be with. Most smokers do successfully beat this stage.

Bargaining is probably the most dangerous stage in the effort to stop smoking. "Oh boy, I could sneak this one and nobody will ever know it." "Things are really tough today, I will just have one to help me over this problem, no more after that." "Maybe I'll just smoke today, and quit again tomorrow." It may be months before these people even attempt to quit again.

Depression usually follows once you successfully overcome bargaining without taking that first drag. For the first time you start to believe you may actually quit smoking. But instead of being overjoyed, you start to feel like you are giving up your best friend. You remember the good times with cigarettes and disregard the detrimental effects of this dangerous and dirty habit and addiction. At this point more than ever "one day at a time" becomes a life saver. Because tomorrow may bring acceptance.

Once you reach the stage of acceptance, you get a true perspective of what smoking was doing to you and what not smoking can do for you. Within two weeks the addiction is broken and, hopefully, the stages are successfully overcome and, finally, life goes on.

Life becomes much simpler, happier and more manageable as an ex-smoker. Your self esteem is greatly boosted. Your physical state is much better than it would ever have been if you continued to smoke. It is a marvelous state of freedom. Anyone can break the addiction and beat the stages. Then all you must do to maintain this freedom is simply remember - NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!
0 Kudos
polly2

Hi Sheila! This is a mental addiction as well as a physical one. For all those years we fed our minds with thoughts that smoking relieved stress, made us relax, etc. Cravings are our bodies and minds way of cleansing ourselves...When you find your mind going haywire, you might want to give it a sharp "NO." NO=Not One. When I first started I wore a rubber band around my wrist. I would snap it when I got a craving. The snap stung, but I noticed that the cravings didn't hurt. I also told myself over and over again that smoking is not an option. It helped me to take my mind off of it! What you are feeling is normal. I found that keeping my mind occupied took away the intensity of cravings...A great web site that you might want to read is www.quitsmokingonline.com . Also, www.whyquit.com has some awesome articles and videos! The more we learn about how horrible cigarettes are, the less we are going to want to smoke them. Also, for stress, you may want to try www.meditainment.com . They have a free, guided relaxation meditation that you can do right at your computer. If you just allow yourself to relax, you will free up your mind!! I hope this helps you. Remember that you are the only you that you've got. You are the only one that can take care of you! This is the greatest gift that you could give yourself! Be proud of those 13 days that you have achieved!! That is so awesome!!! Take good care of yourselve -- you are both worthy and deserving of this!!
0 Kudos
sheila12

Thank you all so much for responding!! I am so impressed!!
Somehow, I DID make it thru the day-- I DIDN'T SMOKE!!!
I am now going to whyquit and READ-READ-READ !!!!!!
THANK YOU ALL AGAIN SO VERY MUCH for caring about me!
YOU all did help me so much!!
Sheila
0 Kudos
sheila12

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!
I MADE IT!!!
2 WEEKS!!!! 14 DAYS!!!!
I didn't realize how important it is to have a support group!!!
I really do NOT think I could get thru this without ya'll!!!!!
YEAH!!!!!!
0 Kudos
sheila12

Thank you RJ!!! I do not what else to say but, THANK YOU!! I have been reading ALOT- and you are right-- the mentalness was getting to me- but, I MADE IT!!!
0 Kudos
jennie3

0 Kudos
charon2

Yeah, Allen Carr's book is really good. I bought it a little over a year ago to try to quit smoking, and although that attempt wasn't successful, I attribute that to my own failure. It was also the closest I actually came to quitting without succeeding. He really smacks you in the face with the concept that cravings are mostly in your head, and when you can realize that, you can move on and enjoy your life! It's funny. I'm reading it again... 🙂
0 Kudos
Giulia

I remember just sitting and crying too I wanted one so bad. Thank goodness you didn't succumb!

Two Weeks! YEEEESSSS!!! Now don't you feel Grrrrrrreat! (as Tony the Tiger would say).

Do you have any little pieces of paper stuck up anywhere with affirmations on them? If you don't, try it. Things that catch your eye during the day that keep you strong. Could be a paragraph, could be 4 words like: I CAN - I AM. Or ONE MINUTE AT A TIME. Or BREATHE.

Next time you feel like you're gonna lose it - you might do some reading in Relapse Traps. A story in there might just keep you safe.

Most importantly, you jumped on here and screamed for HELP. And that's what we're here for. Ain't nothing makes us feel so good as to keep someone from blowing smoke.

Hold tight. This addiction is a devil. You can think all is well and the next minute a craving will double you over. But the more time you put between your new smoke free self and your old chimney self, the easier it will get.

Proud of you.
0 Kudos