cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

dlane68

Help

Been gone awhile and failed miserably on quitting before. In my mind I have set my quit date for December 1st, and this is the first I have told any one. Here is my dilemma, I have not convinced myself that I can do it. I have been in bed sick for a couple of days and have not had a cigarette since Saturday night, there are no cigarettes in the house and I am craving one bad. I am hoping to jump start my quitting early being I have gone this far without smoking. Please any encouragement and advice would be helpful.  

64 Replies
Sandy-9-17-17

My advice is go for it, the sooner the better and the more days behind you!  As I've always heard, "There's no time like the present"  

Hope you're feeling better, and if a text buddy is what you need you just let me know!  I would be happy to be just that!

Sandy

dlane68

Well Sandy, maybe I do. I do not know for sure, but it would be nice when it gets hard to not here from an automated system.

0 Kudos
dlane68

The hardest part I think today other then my slip up this morning was driving to and from work. I did have a huge craving at work in the middle of my shift, I got stuck in the kitchen, which I hate, the big boss showed up, ( the wife of the husband and wife team) I explained to her what I am attempting, so we decided being it was slow to create new menu items. She went out of her way to keep me distracted. 

I always hid my quitting attempts from people, I was afraid that if I failed they would just see me as a failure. Because I opened my mouth, took that risk, I survived my shift and Karen went out of her way to keep me as preoccupied as possible. 

Grew up in an environment that what ever I did was never good enough. I have come to realize through the last several years that I matter, some day may share bits and pieces of my story, but for right now, all in all, today was a good day. I found support, I found new family.

P.S. Family is from the heart not blood. 

Thank you to all of you, especially my "Girlfriend" Domona the smile that made my day.

dlane68

I am not understanding the points and levels, are we in some kind of competition I am not aware of?

Giulia

Some tough love coming at you here.  Take it or reject it.  As we say here, take what works and leave what doesn't. 

"Can't promise it wont happen again, I can promise to try and always be honest."  Why can't you promise it won't happen again?  What's preventing you from promising it won't happen again?  Think about that?  Why not?  Trying and being honest is all well and good, and is definitely a step in the right direction, but....one can 'try' forever, and be 'honest' forever, but unless the 'promise forever' comes into play....  it's only a promise to try.  And promising to try is kind of an easy way out, kind of an excuse for eternal failure in my mind anyway.  This commitment isn't about promising to try, its about promising to not put another cigarette in our mouths no matter what.  

You may have grown up in an environment where nothing you did was good enough, but we're here to tell you that every step you make here, is phenomenal.  Trying is good.  But self-discipline and commitment are better and the cornerstones to a long-lasting, successful quit.  MOO (my opinion only)  

I'm on your team, just like everyone else here.  Don't stop 'trying,' but spend more time 'doing.'  You don't have to convince yourself so much as you have to commit yourself.  The commitment creates the convincing.  You CAN do this.   

dlane68

Thanks for the baseball bat up side the head, I needed that. MOO away anytime.

Tammyzhere

I had run outta smokes when I came to this ex cite.  One of the posts suggested I read the easy way to quit by Allen Carr.   There is a free pdf - about 111 pages.  It went thru all the common excuses for smoking.  I found it to be very helpful.    Maybe someone more techie can post the link here for you.   

YoungAtHeart

Because of copyright concerns, we are no longer allowed to post the link here, but if you search the 'net for "free pdf Allen Carr Easy Way to Quit Smoking" you should be able to find it.  If not, it might also be available at your local library.

Nancy

Nix

This is exactly how I quit over 18 months ago. Got sick and didn't smoke for a few days and used that to keep going.

I went through lots of times when I felt ' cheated' that I hadn't had that ceremonious last cigarette or the chance to say goodbye to my nicobuddy.

If you are determined then stick with it. Why go back after the 1st few days when you have kicked the nicotine dependancy? It really is worth sticking to it and taking it day by day or hour by hour if needed.

I can promise you that you will start to feel better and better as you progress through your quit.

Seek help here. This site is amazing and the elders know exactly what you are going through and will help you every single step of the way 

Giulia

Cow lick wazup.gif      

0 Kudos