cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

razzelbal

Help

I've been smoking since I was 10 years old on and off now no matter what I try I can't even stop for a day I fear for my heath . I need help I'm 62 years old does this work. I have tried everything but asking for help.

8 Replies
Strudel

Welcome to the site! You are in exactly the right place for support! I came here after 40 years of smoking - and I quit! So, I know you can do this. Do as much reading as you can....I really liked Allen Carr’s book, “The Easy Way to Quit Smoking”. Read lots of blogs here...make a plan. And - write blogs. Not sure why you didn’t have any responses on this....might be because it is labeled “conversation” instead of “blog” - so, try writing a “blog”. Welcome again and congrats on deciding to quit! Best decision ever! (By the way, I quit over 9 years ago!) 

MarilynH

Welcome to the community razzelbal I'm just seeing this now please read everything you can because there's a wealth of information right here on this site to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb permanently it's not easy by any stretch of the imagination BUT boy oh boy it's so worth it to be Free, you can do this quit believe it deep breaths and start moving forward stacking up those precious Days Of Freedom.....

0 Kudos
shashort

Hello welcome to EX!  This is a great place for support.  Everyone of us has been in your shoes.  Your making a great decision for yourself to quit smoking.  Like Marilyn and Kathy suggested read everything about this addiction you can as knowledge is power over this addiction.  Have you set a quit date yet?  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2008/05/03/things-to-do-instead-of-smoking to help you start getting ideas to do when the crave hits.  Feel free to ask questions when you need, write blogs to let us know how things are going. The great thing about being here is you don't have to do it by yourself, we are here to help get through your tough spots with you.  To answer your questions yes this works, if you read, learn and find your willingness to put in the work it takes and find your determination to not smoke no matter what!!! This is the way to get through.  I didn't get this concept in the beginning, but I believe it is all in the attitude you take going through this journey.

0 Kudos
Barbara145

Welcome.  You have come to the right place.  I smoked for 52 years.  I tried to quit many times.  I was not successful until I found this site.  What I was lacking was support.  Most people quitting smoking need lots of support. I found it here along with so much information.  I quit 6 years ago.  You can do this. 

Congratulations on your decision to quit, and to ask for help.

You have gotten great advice, I want to add that you have determination too,..you need to be determined to quit, AND to succeed at it.

We have all been at day one, read, take advice, not everything works for everyone, so try it all, and stick to what seems to work for you.

Please set a quit date, and keep us updated as you progress.

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.  Yes, you can do this.  I smoked for 50 years and have 621 days smoke free.   It's not easy, but understanding this addiction and having a quit plan, makes it all possible.  We're here to support you and celebrate your milestones.  Take the leap and stay in touch with the community.  My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX 

Barb

maryfreecig

Help is the perfect place to make a start to breaking your belief that you cannot quit. It may not be easy, but one day at a time, you can break this thinking. It is addiction and it is breakable. Many have succeeded who felt exactly as you do. I once thought smoking was everything--today 6 years plus smober, that kind of thinking has died away.

Ex is going to be here for you 365. Read, blog, comment, learn all you can here at Ex and elsewhere as you choose. 

Yes you can--but it's baby steps at first.

Marebear74

I actually joined this program after I had been quit for 3 weeks. I have quit many times in my 20 years of smoking, and I would fall off the wagon at about that point.  My big advice is to not be afraid of crutches. I have refused nrt in the past. Now I am 5 weeks in and using patches and an occasional lozenge when a bad urge hits. I like to smoke, but I just can't do it anymore.   My motivation to give it up is I don't want to be a burden to my children by the age of 50, which I literally see every single day with smokers as a nurse in the hospital. Yep I have been a smoking nurse.