cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Help staying quit

Today is the day. My wife absolutely hates that I vape. I hate that I vape. I've been using nicotine for 23 years. **bleep** that sounds so long. I don't know how to stop. Well I do but I guess I'm just scared. I hate discomfort. I hate feeling like I'm weak because of withdrawals. 

I wake up everyday telling myself no more. Then without even thinking, well I'm sure it's a very deep conscious thought, I'm in and out of the store and I feel like it's already too late so might as well do it. I feel like I'm so weak. 

I've stopped before but it's been quite a while since that has happened. Now is the time. I don't know if I'm ready but at the same time I feel like that's just the addiction talking trying to tell me that you need to keep going.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Barbscloud

@InevitableChaos Welcome to the Ex and I 'm excited for you first day vape free .   Quitting can be difficult.  It's  so easy to begin a quit and then block out the reasons we wanted to quit to begin with. That pretty much defines an addiction-the urge to do something that is hard to stop.  It will get easier, so be kind to yourself right now and listen to what your body needs.

Quitting can be scary.  After all, we've vaped/smoked with every activity and emotion in our lives.  It's time to find a new way of coping.  

I have numerous attempts at quitting and it finally took me 50 years to get it right.  What was different this time?  I had a quit date, an aid, a class and cut down for a week. Sounds like a road to success.  I was fortunate to find the Ex a week prior to my quit.  I learned about nicotine addiction and that I needed a plan that would prepare for what I was going to encounter on my journey.  And for the first time, I had the support of fellow quitters.

Take the time to learn how to do this.  Part of it is mindset and part of it is hands on work identifying triggers, what tools you'll use, what associations you'll create instead of vaping, etc.   Spend time on the site, getting as well as giving support.  The early days take commitment so why not have other quitters to help you deal with the up and downs of this journey.

Consider taking the Daily Pledge to stay on track one day at a time.

This link is a great place to start

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

We're here for you so reach out anytime we can help.    Going for walk is a great way to refocus your thinking and get an added boost of dopamine. 

I'm sure you wife will be proud of you, but remember this your quit and it's your health that's at risk. 

Have a wonderful vape free day.   Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@InevitableChaos How are you doing?

Barb

0 Kudos