cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Diva8269

Help, I'm drowning!!!!

This is so hard!!! The cravings are too much. Don't wanna think about anything else but a cigarette (newport  100 box)!!!

6 Replies
MarilynH

I'm so sorry @Diva8269 that you didn't get any responses! How are you doing this morning? Quitting smoking is extremely difficult to say the least BUT it's doable and so very worth it once you get through the roller coaster ride of ups and downs and moodswings and lack of sleep to get to that good place in your quit where you realize just how much better life is as an EX Smoker Non Smoker or EXer it doesn't matter what you call it as long as you keep moving forward stacking up those precious DOF ~Days Of Freedom ~ so each evening you can say YAY for another Day WON! I'm sure right now that you do feel like your drowning BUT stay close and reach out whenever you need to or just want to vent and keep your mind as well as your hands occupied, I drank alot of water and still do and I chomped on carrots and celery sticks to which helped me plus I kept a bag of sugar free mints around in case of of any unforseen cravings. I'm not very tech savvy so I'm going to mention Nancy @YoungAtHeart she does a wonderful welcome with links for you....

YoungAtHeart

Welcome!

The best place on this site to interact with the community is the blogs (Home-top left; center blue box, "Post A Journal/Blog").  You can read all over the place, but writing there will get noticed!

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.”    You can search for it online or at your local library.  Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! .  Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. You might visit “Games”: The active ones are at the top of the list going down the left side of the page.

Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/t5/Journals-Blogs/101-Things-to-Do-Instead-of-Smoke/ba-p/1028319

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex @Diva8269   This is hard at first.  It will take some time, but it will get easier.  I'm glad you found us and reached out for support.  I hope you were able to keep your quit and you're feeling better this morning.  

It's one day at a time.  We're here for you.

When did you quit?

Barb

dnsmith84

Hey girl! Hope you made it through the day! Did you light up or still going strong? I'm on day 9 and would have sold my only child for a puff last week. We are here for you!

BryceEvans

Stay busy. Go for a walk. Look up a new recipe. Read about the benefits of your quit. Look up local events and plan your weekend. Go to the spa. Organize your closet. Garden. Use the money you’d spend on cigs on a few candy bars. I can name a million things that are better for you and your loved ones then picking up another Newport. 

JACKIE1-25-15

Quitting is very hard. Deep breathing always worked for me. Practice this Breathing Exercise .

Education is the key to a successful quit. Foundation For A Successful Quit 

It is going to require discipline and commitment .   It really takes the commitment never to touch it again no matter how bad you feel because it gets better in time. You have to go through the withdrawal like any other drug.  To make it easier you have to find distractions that you may enjoy other than smoking 101 Things to Do Instead of Smoke  

0 Kudos