cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Healthy2020

Hello!

My name is Lisa and I am new here. My quit date is this Sunday March 8th. I am super excited to become a nonsmoker,  but also super nervous because I have tried to quit numerous times before. The last time was about 14 years ago though and I feel like I have a totally different mindset this time. Before, I quit because I felt I had to for everyone else. This time I want to do it for me. I'm 4 years away from retirement and don't want to end up on oxygen or worse,  being the main reason. But just sick of it all, the money, the smell, the whole addiction.  I'm so glad I found this group and I look forward to supporting each other in this journey!

25 Replies
Cousin-Itt

Hello Lisa Glad you're with us.  You're quitting for the best reason You.   Stay close listen and when you need help ask 

You have a lot of great advice above.   

You got this

Carl

Gai.C

Hello Lisa. U are giving yourself the best gift by quitting. Make a plan and stick to it. Read everything you can get your hands on.  Make a decision on how u are going to Quit. 

Remember no amount of NRT will work if you are not Committed.  If u don't have any u can't smoke any. Prayer, patches worked for me. 

HLPme44

Hi Lisa, 

Welcome to the group! So your big quit day is tomorrow? I had a quit day on the 10th of February, but I've been slipping since. But, I'm going to keep starting over. I got a medication I'm gonna start trying as soon as I decide on a definite quit date. I'll let you know how it works. Good luck to you and all of us.

YoungAtHeart

I hope you will do the reading I recommended above to help you understand this addiction.  Reading, planning and preparation are really important components to a successful quit.  This isn't easy, but there are steps you can take to make it eas-ier!

Healthy2020

I actually started reading Allen Carrs book before I found this group . I found it to be really helpful in looking at all of this from a different perspective.   Thank you for sharing all the tips. I especially like the list of 100 things to do besides smoking!

Healthy2020

Thank you and best of luck to you as well!!

Mandolinrain

Welcome to this fantastic community! We are grateful you are here and now a part of our family. I promise, if you stick with us, you WILL see the day that you feel it is hard to believe you ever smoked and you will be encouraging and supporting others as they walk through this journey. 

SO YAY! Tomorrows the big day and the first breath of fresh air you have been waiting for!  Stay near to us.

Barbscloud

Today is your first day smoke free.   You've begun your journey to becoming  a non-smoker one day at a time.  Don't forget we'r'e here for you--just reach out.

Barb

Healthy2020

Thank you!

DavesTime

Lisa, today is the first day of the rest of your life, and it can be a healthier and freer life if you remember what you are learning here and keep reading and posting your thoughts, struggles, and successes. I'm about four years from retirement, too, and was exactly where you are now a year and a half ago.  Freedom CAN happen for you.  We're glad you're here!  You can do this!

Dave

543 Days of Freedom