cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

mrs.-u

Hello

I have been smoking for about 8 years. When I started, I told myself I would never smoke that long. I have been trying to quit for a few months now. Nothing seems to be working. I saw the commericials for this website so I thought I would give it a try.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
mrs.-u

Thank you for your encouragement. I went through the website last night. There is lots of useful information. Hopefully, I can put it to good use. I have started tracking my cigarettes and am working on the separation.
0 Kudos
hothula

aloha mrs. U you need to keep trying, with education and effort you will make it. also check out www.whyquit.com you will do this
0 Kudos
mrs.-u

Thank you so much to all of you offering words of encouragement! My husband is a smoker. I was hoping we could quit together, but he isn't ready yet. I made the decision that I couldn't wait for him to be ready. I need to quit sooner than later. He has tried to be very supportive in my efforts, but nothing compares to a support network that has been there or is where you are at. From my past quit efforts, I was able to get through the first day okay, but I could never break the 48 hour mark. Anyone have any suggestions? And for those of you who have successfully quit, when do you really start to feel physically better? I think that has been part of my problem. I (naively) thought that I would quit and then suddenly feel better. When that didn't happen, I started to get discouraged. We are going on vacation in June, and I would love to be smoke free at that point, and have it be a celebration of what I have accomplished!
0 Kudos
mrs.-u

Kozmik Burd,

Thank you for being honest about what you went through when quitting. I know that it is going to be hard and scary at first. I also know that it will be worth it and I can do it. I guess I just keep pyching myself out. I keep thinking about all the uncomfortable things about quitting smoking, and how " I just don't have time for that now." But realistically, no time is going to be a good time so inevitably I am going to have to just suck it up and do it! Did you plan your quit date or did you just wake up one day and decide that it was the day to do it?

Thank you for your support!
0 Kudos
mrs.-u

Thank you! I can not even express how much it means to me knowing there are people out there who don't even know me, but are so supportive! I was so excited today when I logged on and saw people were actually interested in helping me and supporting me! One key element that has been missing from previous quitting efforts was a solid support system.
0 Kudos
hothula

aloha again, I think sometimes the health getting better is subtle and you don't really notice it at first but you will stop having a morning cough very soon and your skin will look better in a matter of a week or so. your hair and clothes won't smell either and things will taste better in about 3 weeks if I remember right. the only way I got past the hard bits was just being very stubborn and gritting me teeth to get past it. each time I got past a hard bit just fed my strenght and that made the hard parts a bit easier to get past. it does seem to take awhile to get really free of this but it happens in stages and if you hang in there you will feel feel pretty darn good in june. keep up the good work. your hubby will fall in line one day congrats to you
0 Kudos