cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

TheOne2punch

HELP: Withdrawl

I haven't had a cigarette in 3 days. I have only gotten 3 hours of sleep in total in those 3 days. My chest is so incredibly tight, it hurts. I can't sleep. Anyone experience this while quitting? Know anything to help? I suplimented with vaping but quitting that as of today as well.

17 Replies
maryfreecig

Quitting usually involves a bit of angst. Work around it and find your way to your quit. If we wait for hurdles and obstacles to be gone, we'll never quit. There are a lot of well known suggestions for getting to sleep. But Ex has some to0...go to the search box and type in sleep.

Welcome to Ex. 

RikkiJean

I definitely recommend against vaping.  I am quitting that soon, and I tell you it is HIGHLY addictive. More addictive than cigarettes and it will be SO MUCH HARDER to quit vaping.  Don't even go there.

Deep breathing, take a walk, move your body, stretching.  Maybe to relax, you could run a hot bath.  Get some bath salts from the store that have Epsom salts in them and lavender.  The magnesium relaxes your muscles.  Make sure you're eating healthy food and staying hydrated.  Maybe even take a magnesium supplement. 

I feel for you.  Not sleeping suuuuuuuucks beyond words.  It weakens your brain big time.  But you will sleep eventually.  You've just got to power through the suck.  And you have to WANT to quit. 

Barbscloud

@TheOne2punch Welcome and congrats your 3 days.  This is the hard part when it comes to the physical withdrawal part.  What you're feeling is normal for many quitters.   Any of the normal things they suggest for difficulty sleeping can be used.  

What To Do When You Can’t Sleep | Sleep Foundation

Just remember that's its temporary.   You'll get past this phase by using the tools you identified .  If you can, go for walk.  Even short one's really help to increase dopamine, refocus your thinking, and exercise can also help you get some sleep.

You're going great.   One day at a time.

Barb

JACKIE1-25-15

Hi @TheOne2punch Welcome to the EX community. I am sorry that you are having difficulty sleeping and tightness of chest.  Unfortunately these are some of the things we have to deal with during the initial withdrawal period. I am a true believer that  Education is the key to a successful quit. The following link is a blog on withdrawal.  It is rather lengthy however very informative.  You may want to bookmark it for future reference.  Also you can put in a key word in the search field to see if you can find more on any topic that you have questions about if you do not get as fast of a response that you need.  Hang tough 3 days is great one day at a time. You will be glad that you do not take a puff.  The best is yet to come so hold on and don't give up. https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/t5/Quitting-Methods/Nicotine-withdrawal-symptoms-answers-to-our-q...

TheOne2punch

Over a year since I quite! 🤙🏻 Thank y'all!

TheOne2punch

Well I made it to 10 days and I feel much better. Thank y'all!

Mzwim2016

Hey there.  How are you today?  I’m on day one of no NRT.

RikkiJean

@TheOne2punch YAY!  SO SO HAPPY TO READ THIS!

Keep us posted. We're all cheering you on! 

Barbscloud

@TheOne2punch Big congrats on 10.  You're doing the work to be successful.

Barb