cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

jack14

Getting Started

Hi - My name is Jack and I live in Washington DC, I've been smoking for 15 years and I've tried to stop several times. I hope that this program can help me quit. I'm a little nervous about quitting. I'm not sure I can do it. Does anyone else feel the same way?
0 Kudos
46 Replies
jack14

this is the first time I've ever tried quiting with an online program. I must say by reading other peoples posts I am not the only one who has these feelings of being afraid and nervous. I think that by knowing I'm not alone has actually helped my attitude about quitting. I think this time I might actually quit. Thanks for your support. I know that you will be able to quit. I think you need to find a good reason. Mine is for my daughter.
0 Kudos
rhonda24

Any advice on how to get that encouragement from my husband? I've tried and failed several time to quit, he's never smoked so he doesn't understand why I can't just quit. After reading one of your replies to another post to him trying to get the point across that I need his support instead of shutting me down when i have one cig his reply is "well i've heard it so many times that you're going to quit" seriously wtf. i'm trying to get across to him that i need his support but everytime i hear this sh!t from him it makes me want to light up. He thinks i can just say ok today I quit and that's it. It's over. Like an old shirt I'm never going to wear again. I understand his point. I've said it several times, I've tried quitting w/out telling him and I've tried before to tell him i need his encouragement.........instead when i do light up, despite the fact I made it through a couple strong cravings w/out giving in the same day, the minute i give up and light one he's all over me like that one cigarette means I'm just not ever going to quit.
0 Kudos
shawn_ohagen

Hi Rhonda - It's hard for my wife to understand what I'm going through too. I think the best thing for you to do is try to explain to him how hard it is to quit. Try to explain it to him by giving him an example that he can relate to.My wife loves diet Coke and I told her that it's not easy and that she wold have a hard time giving up diet Coke. She tried but couldn't do it so she now understands somewhat of what I am going through. I haven't been a member of this community for that long but from all the posts I've read it seems like this is a good place to get and give support to others that need it. We all need to help each other fight this addiction. Good luck I know you can do it.
0 Kudos
george-beck

Hi Rhonda
I smoked for 30 years. pipes, cigarettes, cigars and anything that would light. i always found a reason for smoking (It calms me, I enjoy it, It helps me not be nervous, its the pressure etc.). I tried Smoke away, Gum, Acupuncture, hypnosis all in vain. It took a serious heart attack for me to get it. Still, I could not quit until I DECIDED to quit. This often makes this a lonely but self empowering act. I claimed I was not supported like it was my wife's or family's problem and they were the reason for my smoking and refusal to quit ( I used the same excuses for exercise,hmmmm). You and I have the power to make our own decisions and be responsible for our own acts. This makes the decision to not smoke a life changing and self empowering action. I think it comes down to You and I controlling our own destiny and life. At the end of the day, and I faced the end of the day, it is Me supporting me and me taking responsibility for me. You can do this with or without support, although you certainly have mine and the fact that you are here is testament to courage. You are in charge of you. I think you will find this enlightening and those around you who truly do not understand may find it enlightening as well. You get to choose. Choose life. Safe journey
George
0 Kudos
sheri6

My name is Sheri and I live in Martinsburg WV. I, too, have been smoking for 15 years and have tried a few times to quit. I am nervous and fear failing in this attempt. So far, I keep telling myself that I am a Non-Smoker and I think of my life as a non-smoker. I am trying to imagine how life will be better without the stinking cigarettes.
That is something I am doing differently now. REALLY looking at this as a PERMANENT change and being serious about it. If I don't stop smoking now, before I know it, I will have been smoking for another 15 years.

I am taking Chantix again. I took it for a couple of weeks before and quit taking it.
This time so far I am doing things differently. I do not have a spare pack "hidden". I also found that the Chantix makes me very sick to my stomach only if I smoke so just knowing how sick I will feel helps deter me from smoking.
The dreams are CRAZY. I have had a few that were adventures but most are nightmares that I wake from sweating and freaked out.
Today all of the cigarettes are finally gone. I smoked 1 cigarette yesterday and a couple of puffs today. Each time, I felt like a tar mouth and it was not worth it.
I am on day 11 of the Chantix. I would recommend Chantix to anyone that wants to quit.
0 Kudos
tracy9

Hi my name is Tracy and I have tried to quit many times. My last cigarette was March 7th. I was at a bar and must have smoked close to 2 packs and woke up feeling miserable. Decided then and there that this was the best time to quit .....again. Let me also say that I have been on wellbutrin for depression and that has curbed my cessation for cigarettes. To tell you the truth, I don't even crave or want one. The only thing keeping me from lighting up that cigarette is having to start all over again. I have smoked since I was 15 and I am now 46....it is definitely time to quit. And believe me......it is so nice to take my clothes off at night and smell the soap I used in the shower that morning.....no smell of smoke on my body or clothes or hair or hands......Good luck to all
0 Kudos
celina2

Hi Tracy,

How long have you taken zyban? Are you saying that it is the same as wellbutrin? Does it sort of calm your nerves? Are you able to get a good nights sleep? If you can think of any other good things about it, please let me know, as I have appointment with my doctor in a few weeks and I'm thinking about getting something like zyban(wellbutrin). This was one of the things that Dr. Oz suggested on Oprah, so since you have used it, I would like to know a little more about it. Thanks, Celina
0 Kudos
tracy9

I have taken it for 6 weeks now. I havent had any side effects. I take 300 mg every morning and actually sleep quite well. I took it once before but I had to take one in the morning and another 8 hours later and really had problems sleeping. I smoked the first 2 weeks I was on it and the cigarettes started tasting really nasty and really didnt do anything for me like they used to. They do say that you take the wellbutrin and pick a quit date and continue taking it and eventually you lose your craving. I havent had any withdrawls and really dont want a cigarette. I would ask your doctor about it. I know insurance companies pay for this and they don't with the Chantix.

Let me know how you do

thanks Tracy
0 Kudos
celina2

Did you say that it was the same thing as wellbutrin?
0 Kudos
tracy9

Doctors say its Zyban but the generic form is wellbutrin. Most insurance companies wont pay for zyban but will for wellbutrin. Good luck Tracy
0 Kudos