cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

rgr2018

GEARING UP TO QUIT.

Hi All - I am getting ready to start the first serious quit I have tried in many years. I am 68 yo and have smoked 50 of them. In the last few years, I’ve smoked about 1 ½ packs per day.  I have lots of questions, but one of the most pressing is whether it is too late for me to quit? I have educated myself reading the various blogs and several books.  I do have some COPD, but not any cancers or other smoking related diseases.

The other question I have relates to cutting down.  I have set my quit date for Jan. 1, 2019 and I have been keeping track of my cigarettes to determine which are the most important to me.  During the course of this I have found I’ve cut down to a little under a pack per day.  Should I continue to try to cut down or just wait until my quit date? In retrospect this sounds like a stupid question, but I’ve read stuff that says don’t put your energy into cutting down because I’m still maintaining the addiction.

Any help you can provide would be more than welcome.  Best regards, RGR.

21 Replies
rgr2018

To Chuck, Youngatheart and all the other first responders - Thank you, thank you for your responses and suggestions.  This was my first post and I was rather nervous, but you've made me feel at home.  In fact, last night I was so busy reading here that I forgot to go to the store to buy cigarettes before it closed. Yikes!! I did have some gum I use when I can't smoke ie dr. appts., movies, so used that and it helped, but bottom line I was afraid - fearful of the withdrawl feelings I would have going overnight (I usually wake at night to smoke)- the exact response that Carr writes about in his book.  I could have gotten up at midnight & driven 20 miles for cigs, but I refused to do that  & i went for 11 hours without a cig.  Wow - that's almost 1/2 a day.  But I'm not ready yet to make this a quit start.  I have Chantix to start the end of Nov. so am ready for 1/1/19 quit date.  Also plan on using the patch and chewing gum if I need to.  Is this too much?? I don't want to get hooked on the NRTs, but do want to give myself the best quit start that I possibly can. Thanks again for all your helpful advice.  Best regards, Rosemary (RGR2018)

0 Kudos

Since you have a month and a half plus until your quit date, why don't you try what I suggested:

Every time you want to smoke, just say "I'm going to wait a little longer" to yourself.

It's a no stress, no denial no brainer and you may be ready BEFORE your quit date.

rgr2018

Hello Dale - Yes.. this is a very good way to deal with cutting back

and  I started using it this am.  I had been going for an hour, then

checking the clock and see if I could go another 15-30 minutes.  But I

find that using your suggestion keeps me smoke free for even longer.  No

need to keep track of the clock and I'm practicing my diversion tactics

for when I get to the "BIG QUIT". Thanks so much for the advice.

Best Regards, Rosemary

In a couple weeks you'll be going hours without any stress at all.. The beauty of this is you never deny yourself so you never build up negativity towards quitting.

desiree465

Rosemary, I'd check with your doc before using all three of those NRT's. They each have side effects by themselves but if you use all three and have a reaction you won't be able to tell which one is causing it, then you won't know which one to stop using. I'd be afraid you'd stop using them all and have to do it cold turkey. I think it's great you're thinking ahead and preparing yourself the way you are, very smart. 

0 Kudos
rgr2018

I definitely will check with the doc before using all 3.  But,

question, is chantix considered an NRT? I didn't think it was because it

doesn't directly deliver nicotine..rather it blocks the nicotine

receptors and gives you the dopamine that you would have gotten if you

smoked.  Of course then the gum and patches would be blocked too!!  Does

this make sense? Best Regards, Rosemary

0 Kudos
desiree465

That's a good point, I never though of chantix blocking the other NRT's, but that would make sense. 

0 Kudos

If she does what I've suggested, she may not feel the need for all the crutches because she should be ready to quit and understand they won't quit for her.

0 Kudos
Gma_Bernie

I would say, in my humble opinion, that, no, it's not too late, but here's something to think about: Would your answer to that question change if you found out you had lung cancer? I'm throwing this out to the group. To me, it's a no brainer. I will always treasure my quit NOT ONLY because I freed myself from a mindless, stupid habit but because I proved to myself that I am in charge of what I do. Hardest thing I've ever done, hands down. And I am still not out of the woods yet. But once you get a few days, weeks, then months behind you, a marvelous miraculous thing happens. The momentum carries you. And it DOES get easier. Not that I don't miss it once in a while, but I don't miss the fear and worry I carried around. It's been 11 months for me.

It will be your quit. Own it. Share your experiences with others (it does lighten the burden). And before you know it, you'll be b****ing about something else entirely--hahaha! I know that sounds trite but I really don't mean it that way.  We humans, we need to just chill and Live. 

Good luck, Godspeed. If you really want it, it's yours.

Bernie

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.  You've already gotten lots of good advice.   Our stats are identical and I have 245 DOF.   It's never too late.

Barb