cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

lyndsay87

Freaking. Out.

Hi,

I am a new member here today. Actually quit yesterday. And I already want to cave. I have been smoking since I was 18. Been four years now at about a pack a day for the majority of the time. My husband also smokes been about the same amount of time and same amount of cigs for him as well. The kicker is (im sure most of you will agree) is that I do hate it. It affects my breathing. Every morning I wake up I cough up some really great stuff for about an hour or two until i feel halfway decent and even then i feel the only way i can breath decently is to smoke. We have a daughter who just turned three and we jjust bought a house. Needless to say it is hard to pay a mortgage and spend over 400 dollars a month on smoking. Plus our daughter learned the word cigarette and not too long ago we found her pretend smoking with a straw. Say what you like if you want to say im a bad parent but thats where we hit our low point and decided to finally make a good try at quitting. We did so yesterday and this is the 2nd day with no cigarettes and I hate it. I am unbelievably cranky at my husband and daughter. I moved my stuff into the spare bedroom last night because i know with the stress of quitting smoking everything annoys me and makes me mad so ive been eating alone and sleeping alone and trying to avoid my hgusband as much as possible so i dont take it out on him and create fights which sucks becuase he is getting upset about. He seems to know he handles trying to quit better and doesnt hesitate pointing that fact out to me saying Im being unreasonable and cranky and mean. but the way i see it is if i isolate myself and not present myself with the opportunity to take it out on him it will go easier and i do it because we have tried to quit before and i know how i get, im just trying to save the fights and yelling. Is that not right?

Anyway,  yesterday sucked the most and today is day 2 and it definitely sucks too but i feel already like yesterday was the worse and i can manage the rest. I just dont want to feel so angry and frustrated and cranky and moody all the time. How do i quit and feel happy? Even though i am happy i quit and will be happy if we can stay quit, and i have great reasons to want to quit, i feel like i should feel better about it......right?

Lyns

0 Kudos
4 Replies
lyndsay87

I mean for the love of gosh ive cried a million times already in just 2 days and just this morning i chucked my glasses across the living room for apparently no reason. I feel like the slightest thing can set me off. I am not losing my husband over this.

0 Kudos
session09

Lyndsay, go buy a box of patches and get a bag of Tootsie pops.

I was 10 times more of a miserable person than you and the patches helped ALOT!!  You're not weak if you use the patch or gum, you're smart.  Alot smarter than you realise for many reasons, one of them is that by using this aid/tool you increase your chances of success.

Don't kill your husband or kids and get a grip on yourself.  You can do this.  I smoked for 20+ years and dropped them two months ago.  If I can do it so can you.

~Dave

0 Kudos
giochickak

Lyndsay,

I am going to agree with Dave and say go get some patches, lozenges, or some kind of Nicotene Replacement Therapy.  Doing so increases the likelihood of succesfully quitting by 50 percent!  You need to remember that while your husband might not understand what you are trying to do by sleeping alone and eating alone, you are in fact avoiding triggers.   If these situations will cause you to be irritable and stressed  or start fights with your husband (making you want to smoke) then they are in fact triggers.  And identifying your triggers and taking steps to avoid them is a big part of learning to become an ex-smoker.  While it might be inconvenient and upsetting to your husband right now, just remind him of the big picture and how quitting smoking will ultimately benefit your relationship in the long run.  And don't feel bad if you have a million melt downs in one day, it is all part of the process.  I am 28, I started smoking when I was 14 and quit cold turkey when I was 21 (and it was ugly,horrible and hard, by the way).  When i was 25 I got divorced and started smoking again.  Three years later, I was back up to over a pack a day.  I quit 19 days ago, but this time I am using the patch.  It is still hard, but much easier than trying to do it on my own.  There are going to be days when you are pissed off at the world, when you cry for no reason and when it just feels too hard.  But you can do this, and it does get easier with each day that passes.  For me, one of the things that keeps me from smoking is I take all the money I would have spent on cigarettes in a week (I live in Alaska where cigarettes are $9 dollars a pack, so that adds up to $63 a week for me!) and put it towards something I really want.  In the 19 days since I have quit smoking, that is $191!  After 30 days I am going to buy myself a Coach purse that I have been drooling over forever!  Keep your chin up, you can do this. And if you slip up and smoke, don't beat yourself up, you just have to try again.  Good luck and keep us posted!

0 Kudos
session09

Hey Lyndsay!

I thought about you today while reading the newspaper!  Lens crafters is having a sale on frames and lenses!  How's things going!??!

Deep breaths and think of a place where you feel most happy and free...keep going!  No smoking!!  Yoiu can do it!

~Dave

0 Kudos