cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Lisaml

First time here...

Just wanted to say hello. Day 6 of my quit with chantix. 

This is no fun. 

Already at the point where I'm thinking "well smoking wasn't THAT bad, was it?". Maybe I could have just 1... just to see if I still even want it  

I do understand that is not a possibility. At 45 years old, it's only a matter of time before I would have gotten some kind of illness related to smoking. I had to quit. 

Anyway, here I am...

54 Replies
elvan

Welcome to EX, we are all happy to hear from you and to help you along the way.  Please remember that we all had a day one and we all want you to succeed.  Read blogs and comment, blog, stay close to the site...glad you are here.

Ellen

djmurray

Welcome to this wonderful community, Lisami -- You are so smart to quit at 45 -- I smoked for 53 years and quit 3 years ago with a strong desire to finally be free and the support of these great people.  Do the reading, come here as much as you can, interact, blog about how you're feeling at any given time.  Rant, rave, muse, whatever it is you need to do and there will be people here who will engage with you in whatever way you need at that time.  I didn't read all the comments, but if you think you might pick up a smoke promise yourself you will FIRST come to this site and type HELP in the subject line.  You will have support virtually right away. 

Just in case you need a little more motivation, I did quit three years ago and haven't had a puff since, but I was in denial about my COPD for the last year I smoked.  I'm sitting here now with oxygen on, and I need to take it with me to work.  I remember when I was in my early 30's I saw a woman at church who was using oxygen, and I regret to say I looked on her somewhat judgmentally and thought "that will never happen to me."  Hah!  Worse, my sister has lung cancer, has been undergoing chemo, and also has pulmonary fibrosis and she's still smoking.  So while you quit because you don't want to wait until you have an illness related to smoking, it's still a concept in your head (and that's the only way it can be until you have one).  But listen to the folks here who tell you the real stories about real illnesses because they happen much more often than they don't.  So I will say again -- you're smart to quit now.

I'm not on here as often as I used to be (shame on me) but if you ever want to chat, I'll get an email notification if you message me.  You can do this!

Lisaml

That brought me to tears. Thanks for sharing that with me, and yes, it's a huge motivator. I caught a cold a few weeks ago, and it turned into bronchitis. Short of breath, hideous cough, wheeze and rattles... long story short, I felt it was a very real warning of what was to come. I don't pretend to know what it's like to live with COPD, but I imagine it would be a little like that... and it did scare me to pieces. 

I wish you well, and your sister of course. Thanks for your support and outreach!!! 

shashort

Hello and welcome to EX! This is a great place for support and education. Not much that I can add that wasn't alreayd said above. Congratulations on Day 6 of freedom. Stay close and don't hestitate to holler or type help in a blog and we will come running. One dy at a time and NOPE (not one puff ever) wil get you to success.

Lisaml

Thank you!!!!  

0 Kudos
MichelleDiane

Welcome  Lisaml.  No it is not easy, but anything worth having is worth working hard for.  I know that working through the challenges of staying smoke free are difficult, but I have found that each day gives you the confidence to be able  to push forward.  One second at a time if necessary.  You can do this.  Come back here often.

-MIchelle

Giulia

So today's day 9, right?!!!!   Stick with it.  The beginning is definitely not fun, but it sure gets to be fun once you've moved past the hard part.  There will come a day when you don't wake up thinking about a cigarette.  Truly.  Wait for it!

Lisaml

I'm waiting;-) mornings are the worst! I literally jumped out of bed this morning excited to have one... then was like "oh, right". Sigh. 

0 Kudos
Laurarutledge

I just went thru that this morning, mornings are the hardest time for me too. Even tougher than the after I eat craves. But today, I had the added crave of one when someone gets on my nerves, I missed the cigarette I used like a valium. Today was my first bad day of someone getting on my nerves. I told my husband if I don’t smoke, can I get a valium please? I’m my 79 year old mother’s caretaker, and she’s got a bit of dementia, enough to just make you feel like strangling her because you can’t make her understand what should be common sense. Well, common sense to those of us who still have all our facilities. But trying to argue with someone like her is just plain silly, so you just have to walk away. I used to walk away and light up a smoke. Now I just have to walk away and figure out something else to do to settle myself back down. 

0 Kudos
MichelleDiane

That is rough Laurarutledge.  It must be very frustrating.  I have a stress ball on my desk and find that when I get frustrated, even when I was smoking, it would help a little to squeeze it.  Maybe you can walk away and squeeze something.  (And not your mother!)

-Michelle