cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

First Day.....

Today is my quit date. I have been on Chantix for 9 days now. So far it has not been too bad. I think most of my panic today has been because I know I cannot slip up. I say this because I have a 12 week Nicotine test on Feb 21st, for surgery on Feb 22,2018. If I fail that test then they cancel surgery. This is not an elected surgery, this is a very important surgery that will hopefully fix a lot of health issues I have had for 3 years. Now I have gone on my own before I knew about surgery from smoking a pack and a half a day to going through 5 packs in 2 weeks. So less than 4 a day but its knowing I can't slip up. That scares me for some reason. I am ready to quit, just very anxious today.

5 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Congratulations on successful completion of Day Won!  Instead of wasting your energy worrying about failure - turn that around to a commitment to be successful - commit to not smoking another cigarette NO MATTER WHAT.  You CAN do this - we can help!

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for a free pdf of it on the net (copyright enforcement won't allow me to post the link here).

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmokingonline.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

elvan

ASchofield1013  Welcome to EX, it's normal to feel some panic as we begin this journey, just remember that it IS a journey and that the more you learn about nicotine addiction, the better.  Stay close to the site, read blogs, comment, write blogs like you just did right now.  Pay attention to YoungAtHeart‌, she has helped many people along their journeys.  We want very much for you to be successful. You may crave cigarettes but remember that no crave ever killed anyone and no one can stay that about smoking.  I had lung surgery in November of 2015 and they told me that if I had not smoke free for a YEAR, I would not have been a candidate.  I had been free for a year and ten months by then.  You are starting with some amazing people who are also early in their journeys and who are learning very quickly about maintaining their quits.  We are here for you and we will help in any way that we can.  

At the top of the page under celebrations and events, you can take a pledge every day and take the hand of another EX smoker and offer your other hand to the next pledger...you can also ride the Freedom Train and celebrate the milestones of others on this same journey.

Again, welcome to EX.

Ellen

indingrl

Welcome and please keep blogging everyday just like you use nicotine every put as much into your not using nicotine by blogging and telling on yourself BEFORE you use nicotine by faith in Christ Jesus name amen Please take what helps and let go of the rest! Keep on keeping on and blog  blog blog!

maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex. Good to meet you.

Lots of former smokers here who get it...the first days can be nerve wracking...but putting one foot forward then the next is your way out. The fellowship here is strong, so keep coming back for support or to blog--as much as you want or need. 

MePlus3

Welcome! You've come to the right place! We all understand the first day jitters but keep busy and the day will be over and do it again tomorrow and the next day! Begin to do things you used to love pick up the things you may have put down for a while. Journaling, word searches and coloring books is my go-to and when craves really get bad get your hands wet! Clean the kitchen or bathroom even if it's already clean the objective is to get your hands wet and your mind off the smokes. At least those are things that worked for me! You got this blog blog blog we never get tired of reading and there's always someone here to talk to! 

-Kimberly 52 DOF