cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

jader9920

First Attempt

I have smoked for 25 years. My longest period without a cigarette was the week I was on my honeymoon. I have decided that it is time to quit, but I have no idea how. I am already on Welbutrin for depression, but I read that it helps with quiting as well.

What other tips does everyone have for those tight chested anxiety times?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
stenoex

Hi, Jader,

Ya know, I made it 15 days on vacation without smoking.  Went with a man who hates it to see friends I hadn't seen in 18 years and wanted to be healthy around.  It was only hard at times.

Then I came home and *smoked.*  Jeez.

But that 15 days was enough to make me just say I'VE HAD ENOUGH OF THIS.  I "quit" two more times in the last month, and relapsed, but that's just nonsense.  I finally got welbutrin and have committed to tomorrow as my quit date because my anxiety has gone way down with that addition.

Yoga every morning has greatly improved my anxiety and just generally made me feel better.  Making something tasty to eat or drink also seems to help.  Bought a sonicare toothbrush, and I swear that helps because my teeth feel so clean and it has a two-minute timer that distracts me.  

Excercising before I'm even awake in the morning is helpful.  I'm concentrating on moving and that's a good distraction.

I have to - HAVE TO -- quit for good in the morning.  Anxiety was/is the biggest thing that keeps me hooked.  Which is nonsense.  I was fine for 15 days and did NOT die of anxiety.  In fact, I wasn't anxious!  That's the real kicker of it.  I was FINE.  

hang in there!

0 Kudos