cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

GayleB

Feeling Stuck

Today is my 133rd day smober. I'd like to thank everyone here for sharing their stories. I read them daily. My question is...when or will I return to doing things I used to enjoy? For example, I  have some sewing projects that I was excited about starting, back when I was smoking. Now every time I look at the projects, I feel overwhelmed and depressed. I can't get started. And sewing isn't the only thing. Somehow I associate the projects with the "reward" I used to get upon completion of job. The nicotine for sure is long out of my system.  I really want to get back to the things that used to bring me joy. 

8 Replies
karenjones

How can you get back to sewing?  i would suggest picking up a sewing needle and threading it for a start, instead of just looking and feeling overwhelmed. the best way to get rid of that overwhelmed feeling is to start sewing. Just Do It.

GayleB

Good idea

0 Kudos
marciem

what a great job you're doing at 133 days!!  You may still be in No-man's Land, which can be a bit of a slog (felt like trying to trudge thru quicksand at times, for me), but it does get over.  And YES, you will be back to enjoying your activities, and guess what?  The things you sew won't smell like smoke when you're done (I don't care what they say.. that smell doesn't go away with one washing of hands)!!  (I had the same thing happen with crocheting, where I just didn't feel like it. )

I do suggest finding yourself another "job well done" or "lets take a break" reward... make a new habit. Be it a cup of coffee/tea/soda and a read of a book/magazine, or a computer game or read here, or some cookies or candies... something you find rewarding and can enjoy even more than you actually did smoking.

I've found that breaks and "job done" rewards are much less necessary now that the nicomonster isn't breathing down my neck every 20 minutes.

Keep on slogging, pretty soon it will be so easy!!  And the slog will have been worth every bit of it.

Barbara145

Quitting smoking is a process.  You are just beginning.  The best quit I ever had was 90 days before finding this site.  I started smoking again because " I just didn't feel like me anymore." It takes time.  It just takes time. We are so use to immediate gratification as smokers.  It has been 5 years since I came here and quit smoking for good.  It has been an amazing journey and so worth the effort.  Give it time.  I guarantee you will be glad you did.  You are doing great!

0 Kudos
SimplySheri

You are thinking about them again which means you are healing and seeing life more clearly again   Wanting to get back to the things you love to do is a great step in your quit.  Just allow yourself time.  When you are ready, you will sew.  You can take small steps or you can jump in and start sewing....you are the only one who knows what you are ready for. 

Congratulations on a beautiful quit!!!  Nurture it, love it, and know it only gets better  

Sheri

YoungAtHeart

That reward trigger/association hung around me for a long time after I quit.  It was more a feeling of something missing than an actual craving,  more like a passing thought.   I have had to find other things to take the place of smoking.  Perhaps a frozen Hershey Kiss?  Or a glass of iced soda?  I cut soft drinks out of my life awhile ago - so my go-to now is a small ice cold Pepsi over crushed ice.  Find yours.

You are almost THERE - and should find your energy level and interest in life increasing day by day.  Perhaps you are feeling overwhelmed and you might start with a small sewing project and work your way back to the larger ones you want to do.  You CAN do it without smoking --- and without needing all those breaks, it will go so much faster.  I think you will be amazed and pleased.

Hang in there!

Nancy

Barbscloud

I agree.  I really missed the reward cigarettes.  So I had to tackle those activities one at a time.  Working in the yard and not taking a break with a beer and cigarette took me a while.  I still do this--when I take a break from a task, I'll get on the Ex and read/post for awhile.  That's my reward now. LOL  My "chilling" time was to sit on the deck, listen to some music, have a drink and smoke.  It took me a few months before I could do that without smoking.   Baby steps.   Give yourself a little time and take small steps toward sewing.  It doesn't have to be a project at first.  133 days is quite an accomplishment.  Think about how far you've come already and all the behaviors you do now without smoking.  We're both pretty new on this journey.

159 DOF  

0 Kudos
IrishRose

Did you smoke while using your sewing machine?  If so, you will not have to worry about the material absorbing the stink of a cancer stick anymore. 

I think you should get to using that sewing machine again, and start working on one of your projects.  If you loved sewing before you quit, not smoking will give you more time to reach the end result of that sewing project.  Take a photo of your finished product, and share it with us too.

Congratulations on 133 days smokefree!!!!!

I have noticed that when I lose interest in something I loved to do, it's one of two things:  I just cannot do it anymore due to physical limitations or I am bogged down with sadness/depression, because I feel like I've kind of lost my purpose in life, due to actual life events that can cut right thru the core of my being.

Don't forget to take a photo for us!!!

(((hug))) for you!

Irish Rose     

0 Kudos