cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

gregp136

Failures

I am 59 years old and have smoked since I was 19, with a two year quit when I was in my 30's.  I have tried to quit many times, and failed.  I will not fail this time because I will used what I have leaned in my last failures, and succeed.

So this is what I know, for me, that I will use to become a forever ex-smoker:

1. I need to quit for me.  No one else.  

2. In the first week, I will want a cigarette a lot. My brain will fixate on it.

3. Time goes slower for me without cigarettes.  I will clean the kitchen and bathroom, start a load of laundry, cook dinner, and read a bit of a book and 6 minutes will have passed (and I will have craved a cigarette 17 times in that period).

4. I need to ask for help when I need it (This one is hard for me).

5. One puff is too much.  I am addicted to nicotine, and any smoking at all will erase all my success.

6. Not one day at a time, 5 minutes at a time.

7.  And my biggest, do not allow my brain to make deals with myself.  My craving brain comes up will all sorts of deals and demands in order to get more nicotine.

8.  Throughout the night I will sleep about an hour at a time.  

9.  Be aware that 20 new things will pop up that I have not experienced before.  Every quit is both old and new.  Have my amour on for the old, but have a club ready for anything new.

My quit day is March 18th, 2017, and from then on I will be a non smoker!

21 Replies
gregp136

Thank you, Doug.

Yes, lots of quits behind me, and lots of strategies.  I have tried the drugs, but they did not really make a difference.  The patches just stretched out the cravings for me.  It is me this time, against the evil.  For me, I have found, the biggest problem is my brain, making deal, working to get me to smoke.  The last time, I was on my second day, a Saturday, and my brain talked me into buying cigarettes on my way to work on Monday.  The cravings dropped to almost nothing!  I need to use that power without making the deal.  And yes, for me!

Greg

0 Kudos
MarilynH

You can and will be successful one precious smoke free day at a time, I smoked for 40 yrs and quit with drinking lots of water, carrot and celery sticks and I kept a bag of sugar free mints around in case of a bad crave and I hung close this site and read everything I could to strengthen my resolve to stay quit no matter what and you can and will be FREE Too! gregp136

0 Kudos