cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

LGenter1966

I am so scared of failure

Jump to solution

My day is coming and I am terrified I am not even going to be able to handle it. I have Covid and not feeling good at all. Can I do this? It is my go to for anxiety and Comfort. I need to get my feelings validated and know I am not alone. I hate to be so negative but I am scared.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
maryfreecig

I get it. I quit 8.3 years ago and felt much the same as you. But I did prepare by making a list of things to do other than smoke. Letting your quit rest upon how you feel about not having a cigarette, or about a craving that comes up leaves you vulnerable to feelings. And we all know our feelings can blow out of control when we are scared. That is where a plan come in handy. What are you willing to do when a craving hits? What are you willing to do when it feels strange not to smoke? 

And you've got a big community here of which you are now a part of. At Ex many of us like to say about the weirdness and fear in quitting is one step at a time. Also one day at a time.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Barbscloud

@LGenter1966 Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your decision to quit.  Fear of quitting is very common.  We've associated every activity and emotion, good or bad,  with smoking, so it's natural to worry about going it alone.   I finally overcame the fear after 50 years of smoking when I found this site and learned about nicotine addiction and created a quit plan.  I skipped those two steps in the past and was never successful.   I stopped thinking about forever and realized it was a choice and I could smoke again if I choose too .  I only needed to do this for one day.   Those one days have turned into almost 4 years.

If you haven't done so already, this link will help you to create your plan, identify tools to use, etc.

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Have you decided to quit cold turkey or are you using an aid? 

Focus on the good that will come from quitting.  You can do this and your fellow quitters are here to support you.  

Barb

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

I get it. I quit 8.3 years ago and felt much the same as you. But I did prepare by making a list of things to do other than smoke. Letting your quit rest upon how you feel about not having a cigarette, or about a craving that comes up leaves you vulnerable to feelings. And we all know our feelings can blow out of control when we are scared. That is where a plan come in handy. What are you willing to do when a craving hits? What are you willing to do when it feels strange not to smoke? 

And you've got a big community here of which you are now a part of. At Ex many of us like to say about the weirdness and fear in quitting is one step at a time. Also one day at a time.

LGenter1966

Thanks for this! It really does help to hear and read the feedback and the way everyone has coping skills. I am trying to get my no smoking Tiger to come out! 😊❤️