cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

gregp136

Failures

I am 59 years old and have smoked since I was 19, with a two year quit when I was in my 30's.  I have tried to quit many times, and failed.  I will not fail this time because I will used what I have leaned in my last failures, and succeed.

So this is what I know, for me, that I will use to become a forever ex-smoker:

1. I need to quit for me.  No one else.  

2. In the first week, I will want a cigarette a lot. My brain will fixate on it.

3. Time goes slower for me without cigarettes.  I will clean the kitchen and bathroom, start a load of laundry, cook dinner, and read a bit of a book and 6 minutes will have passed (and I will have craved a cigarette 17 times in that period).

4. I need to ask for help when I need it (This one is hard for me).

5. One puff is too much.  I am addicted to nicotine, and any smoking at all will erase all my success.

6. Not one day at a time, 5 minutes at a time.

7.  And my biggest, do not allow my brain to make deals with myself.  My craving brain comes up will all sorts of deals and demands in order to get more nicotine.

8.  Throughout the night I will sleep about an hour at a time.  

9.  Be aware that 20 new things will pop up that I have not experienced before.  Every quit is both old and new.  Have my amour on for the old, but have a club ready for anything new.

My quit day is March 18th, 2017, and from then on I will be a non smoker!

21 Replies
Mandolinrain

Welcome! I'm liking your attitude. Get some reading done about the addiction part. This is key to maintain the quit.

Have a good plan of action in place to deal with the craves. Do come here when you can and ask for help anytime if needed. Reading old and new blogs can get you through a bad crave quickly.

wishing you success ! You can do it and we have your back! 

Giulia

I'm in agreement with Thomas and others.  What you believe about the journey ahead will help to create the way it will be.  Don't project not sleeping.  Yes, acknowledge that that may have happened in the past, but it doesn't necessarily have to happen in the future.  And if you're concerned about sleeping for an hour at a time, then you need to figure out what to do so that scenario DOESN'T happen.  We have to learn to be in charge and not a victim of our addiction.  

You've done some really good in-depth homework here.  Exactly the kind that's necessary to Best this beast.  The armor will work for some of the triggers that you know, but when it doesn't you need to develop new armor, or new techniques and tools to fend against the foe.  Part of that new armor is created through experimentation and keeping an open mind.  Try anything and everything.  Continued reading on here will help to boost and reinforce your positive mindset.

gregp136

Thank you all for all of your comments and suggestions.   I agree, I must stay positive, and yes, I have been reading a lot.  Heck, I have been absorbing everything I can about my nicotine addition for the last 10 years.  I WILL quit for good this time, and I will be using the tools I learned here, and in past attempts.  But regardless of how much I learn, or even experienced in past attempts, it is me against the nicotine.  I will fight it and win!

0 Kudos
Giulia

Actually the nicotine is out of your system pretty quickly.  The fight, if you want one, is between you and your excuses.  Allow no excuses to smoke and you cannot fail.  Accept your choice to be smoke free - no matter what - and the journey will be easier.  

Daniela2016

Yes you will quit, if you say so!  The more DOF (days of freedom) I have accumulated the more I realized the way I was able to condition myself in the morning made my day: got a long walk early morning, singing while walking, the cravings were nothing but the wonderful proof I had already quit...and that fuelled my self confidence for the rest of the day.

It is not always working (and that is when you use other tools, like telling yourself I don't do that anymore, or bite in the famous lemon), but it is on your power to make it what you need it to be to push you forward on your journey!

And as you decided this will be your last quit, make it just that!

But do not forget to smile...

0 Kudos
diamond01

Welcome, just stay positive I think that is the key, and staying on this site, there are so many people to talk to, but be postive, and the change is unreal. Helen.

0 Kudos
Juliette67

Hi that is my quit day as well.  Wishing you lots of luck and success

susan_m

Hi Greg (and hey there Juliette! Congratulations on Day Wonl).

I love, love, love this!  You know what's coming, and you're ready. Thomas just gave you great advice:  control your quit.  You know your first week or so will suck. So what?  You're ready. Read my blog Diary of a Madwoman, lol. I laughed through a lot of that week saying 'fake it til you make it' more times than i can count. After that week, I knew I was finished forever. 

Key for me was blogging. I blogged every day until I felt like I was back in control, and the support I received from those blogs kept me motivated. 

Blog. Blog. Blog. 

Good luck!  I'll be watching for updates on your progress....Juliette, you too!!

Susan - One Hundred and Two Days FREEEEEEE!!!

MarilynH

Welcome to the site we're all here to help you through any rough patches that may occur but you can do this one precious smoke free day at a time......

dwwms

We seem to have a lot in common - 

I'm almost 58 and have been smoking since I was 16 except for a 2 year quit in my early 20s. I've tried numerous times to quit, the longest period other than the 2 year stint was almost 6 months. 

I too, am using all the knowledge that I've gained on my previous attempts and have read extensively of late in preparation for this quit. I also realize that this quit HAS to be for me. In the past I've always listed my wife or somebody close to me as my reason to quit. I now see that if I'm not in it all the way for me, then I have not made the deep commitment necessary.

"NOPE" - (as I've picked up on this site). Not One Puff Ever! I've kidded myself in the past that I could smoke cigars instead - only occasionally, that didn't work. I've convinced myself I could smoke only 2-3 a day, which led to 10, then 15, then 20+. My brain has convinced me that e-cigs would work, after a bit, it wasn't the same and... right back where I've always been.

I'm anticipating the fixation when I quit (next Wednesday) - the last time I quit it drove me crazy for a month or longer before it started to subside (I realize now that it's you brain still trying to tell you it wants nicotine, which led to me starting again after 2 months). This time, I'm more prepared - I know what to expect, I've made my list of what to do, and I ready for anything else that this nasty habit tries to throw my way. The most important thing is staying positive and reaching out for help when I'm feeling weak.

Good Luck - I'm right there with you.

Doug