cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ajohnson_fmc

Dopamine plummeted day 8

Hi everyone, 

I was a cigarette smoker from the age of 14 until about 5 years ago when I was introduced to the Juul. I have been loyal to the juul and have not picked up a cigarette in years. 
I could in the past quit cigarettes (due to pregnancies or just a year break from time to time)  and of course it was difficult, but eventually things leveled out. 
I have tried more times than I can count to stop the juul (nicotine replacement, lower percentage of nicotine for pods, limiting use …etc.  I just had a cardiac procedure and started the juul back up and then hated myself for it and decided on Easter to quit cold turkey. I hit depression worst than PPD with my babies. I’m crying everyday. The cravings are still persistent. I relate everything to vaping because I could do it basically everywhere and I did. I would even wake up in my sleep to puff on my juul. 
I’ve been walking everyday, jolly ranchers, keeping busy… etc  Has anyone else experienced terrible depression and anxiety from quitting the juul? Specifically menthol juul pods. Also looking for ways to build my dopamine back up. 

thank you kindly in advance. 
Amanda Lynne

Labels (2)
2 Replies
Justdeda1

@ajohnson_fmc 

The Mayo Clinic Blog has a LOT of information on the effects of vaping, which most ex-vapers agree with you is even more addictive than cigarettes.  There is a great deal of information in the website on vaping that you can find by using the word label to find discussions or help on that topic, just as you added "recently quit" and "quitting vaping" to your own post (-: So many people are ex-vapers, or in the middle of a quit, you will definitely find loads of info and support here.  In the morning, the more experienced, volunteer EXguides will offer you suggestions that will give you more precise directions and helpful support.

In the meantime, continue to sweat it out, use your mindfulness, deep breathing, 100 things to do instead of smoking, whatever it is you need-- YOU CAN DO THIS.

Good Luck to you.  Good Health to you.  Longer Life to you.

Deda

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@ajohnson_fmc I don't think it's specific to vaping , but I do agree you were probably getting more nicotine than smoking.    It's really about the loss of nicotine no matter what the source.  Anxiety and depression are a common symptoms of nicotine withdrawal because your dopamine levels have been significantly reduced.  

You're doing the right things by walking and keeping busy to help replace some of the lost dopamine.  Most of the nicotine is gone from your body in 3 days, but it can take 3 - 4 weeks as it gradually declines.   Be patient with yourself.   You're body is healing and it takes some time to feel better.  

Have you been reading material on the site.  This link has some good information to help with your quit. https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Consider taking the Daily Pledge. It's a great way to stay on track one day at a time and share your journey with fellow quitters.

Glad you reached out.  We're here for you anytime we can help.

Stay busy and stay close..

Barb

0 Kudos